The McCulloch Chainsaw Thread, continued.

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Reaction score
It’s sort of different than the usual set up . The wrist pin is riding on needle bearings on both sides of the piston . I am guessing some sort of press fit . But I din’t want to try pressing them out unless I’m sure that’s how it’s done .

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Reaction score
I have a wrist pin removal tool of some sort if I can find it.
Brad ,
First off , thanks for offering help ! I’m going to pay a visit to my neighbor first . He runs a sawmill . But His dad ran a McCulloch dealership there . He has a stash of left over items ,and sometimes I can get him to help me out . He may have the tool I need . If not , I will be grateful to take you up on your kind offer . Thanks again !

PogoInTheWoods

Reaction score
The same tool should pull the pin in as well as remove it. Should also be able to do the bearings with a larger head cap screw. I bit the bullet and bought one from Duke since it had both sizes of cap screws. Others are available a little cheaper with only one cap screw and the wrist pin in mind.

Poor man's way without the tool is to cut a jig from a block of wood and use a press, vise, or 'C' clamp and a socket to press the pin out. Use a 2" hole saw to cut a hole in a 2x4 / 2x6. Cut the block in half down the middle of the hole to form a cradle to support the piston. Drill a hole in the center of the cradle to allow the wrist pin to come out. And as suggested, a little heat on the pin bosses goes a long way in making the job easier.

fossil

Reaction score
This followed me home today:DDD
DSCF4434.JPG

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Reaction score
The last two came out of nowhere. Those saws are like an honest politician here.

Stuff is getting harder to find. Lots of collector competition now and junk is going high.

6 or 7 years ago a Mac 10-10 would sit for sale for weeks if it was over $20.
I think the TV hype by "Buckin' Billy" caused that stuff to jump crazy. It certainly helped if it wasn't the cause.

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Reaction score
Well , got all the needed pieces parts put into the CP125 ,and got it running . Runs well ,needs a 28” bar ... Actually , it has what measures out to a 22” bar . O, I would like to put something more in keeping with it’s size . Thinking 36” .404 . Is that too much bar ?

DSS

Steps right, throws right. Swings both ways.
Reaction score
Canada; where men are men and Cjcocn is a midget
Well , got all the needed pieces parts put into the CP125 ,and got it running . Runs well ,needs a 28” bar ... Actually , it has what measures out to a 22” bar . O, I would like to put something more in keeping with it’s size . Thinking 36” .404 . Is that too much bar ?
Not if you own a forklift

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Yeah , it’s fairly portly ... I was running it , and couldn’t help but think “ No way ,even on my best day , that I could run this more than a couple of tank fulls . Have to admire those that made a living with them .

The ads for the McCulloch Model 99 have a guy running one by himself. I think the powerhead is 55lbs by itself.

Latest posts