Quantcast

The new iPad

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Picked one up, it's pretty sweet. I played with the Samsung 10.1 and it was more of a familiarity issue than anything. The iPad seemed smoother, more responsive, better screen, and a few other things. I know if I bought the Samsung it would just be a matter of getting used to it but the wife and I both have iPhones so familiarity and compatibility are nice to have. The tapatalk app is much better on iPad than on the phone. The ability to type with the keyboard is far better and easier. I'm not sure I'd want an external keyboard unless maintaining a full screen while typing was something I'd need.

Overall I really like it so far. Anybody got an cool apps to recommend?

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
I've only played with an iPad a handfull of times, so I'm not all that experienced with using one on a daily basis to be honest.

And once again, when comparing Apple to Android, the same factors appear - the iPad is smoother, better functioning, and is much more stable running. It may not have the bells and whistles that some of the other tablets come equipped with. The others may be more fun to use and play with due to the accelerated hardware, bigger screens, and generally more fun features they have but they may not function "as well" when it comes to wanting the device to "just work". Rooting pretty much fixes said problems with Android devices, but sometimes fixing something to make it run good the first time can get annoying - I go back and forth all the time with what I want more in a device. Do I want something to have fun with that has some hiccups or do I want something that is a little more dull to use overall but has a much more stable interface that generally has no issues....

I'll get a tablet one of these days - not anytime soon though. It'll be well after the next iPad gets released. I need a new phone currently, and believe it or not I can't decide between the iPhone 5 or the Galaxy Note 2. I have my reasons for wanting either one. But enough about me and my confused opinions. :)

Glad you like it. How much storage does yours have...?? I'm guessing you didn't purchase one with 3G....??

And yeah, the keyboard is so nice, there's almost no reason to need a plugin. It's a cool tablet, three months from now you'll be really happy you bought it.

As far as apps go, this isn't a bad place to check out, but I'm guessing you might have some of these already

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-ipad-apps

Once again, these apps more serve a purpose than ones that are made for "being cool" and "farking around". Not a bad thing, just what you get with Apple's devices....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I've only played with an iPad a handfull of times, so I'm not all that experienced with using one on a daily basis to be honest.

And once again, when comparing Apple to Android, the same factors appear - the iPad is smoother, better functioning, and is much more stable running. It may not have the bells and whistles that some of the other tablets come equipped with. The others may be more fun to use and play with due to the accelerated hardware, bigger screens, and generally more fun features they have but they may not function "as well" when it comes to wanting the device to "just work". Rooting pretty much fixes said problems with Android devices, but sometimes fixing something to make it run good the first time can get annoying - I go back and forth all the time with what I want more in a device. Do I want something to have fun with that has some hiccups or do I want something that is a little more dull to use overall but has a much more stable interface that generally has no issues....

I'll get a tablet one of these days - not anytime soon though. It'll be well after the next iPad gets released. I need a new phone currently, and believe it or not I can't decide between the iPhone 5 or the Galaxy Note 2. I have my reasons for wanting either one. But enough about me and my confused opinions. :)

Glad you like it. How much storage does yours have...?? I'm guessing you didn't purchase one with 3G....??

And yeah, the keyboard is so nice, there's almost no reason to need a plugin. It's a cool tablet, three months from now you'll be really happy you bought it.

As far as apps go, this isn't a bad place to check out, but I'm guessing you might have some of these already

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-ipad-apps

Once again, these apps more serve a purpose than ones that are made for "being cool" and "farking around". Not a bad thing, just what you get with Apple's devices....

I could type a lot faster with a regular keyboard for sure, but with what I intend to do with the ipad I don't think it will really be necessary, and it is just one more thing to have to tote around, put batteries in, try not to break....

I bought the simple 16gb no cell service model. I tried to get a white one (my last 2 phones I've tried to get in white to no avail) but they didn't have any left. And I honestly don't know why I even wanted it. Before I even turned the thing on I popped into the 3 piece military tested, water resistant, sand/wind/dust resistant, semi-drop proof, ridiculous case that wouldn't even hint as to what color the ipad might be. I don't feel as though I needed one with a larger capacity. My phone is a 16gb and the only reason it was full was because of the 1000+ photos and vids I had on there. But a simple purging and transfer to the hard drive fixed that easily. It definitely wasn't apps or music that took up space, pretty sure something like 90% of the memory usage was pics/vids. I won't be using the ipad as a camera like I do the phone.

I'm definitely more in the mood for useful apps. Have you met me? Cool just isn't something I do :bananawave: even as hard as I try sometimes it just doesn't happen lol. But alas I still try to have a few cool apps. I'll be using it primarily today to follow along my fantasy football team, it's already been awesome for that. My TV is too old but if I could plug it into the router via ethernet cord I could use the ipad to control it. I know the samsung tab has an IR blaster built in, ipad does not. You can however buy something that plugs into the ipad to get an IR blast. not sure I'd spend the money on it, that would be a "cool kid" thing as I'm pretty comfortable with the remote control.

I'll keep you up to date with what I find that I can and can't do with it. I'm hoping to somehow incorporate it into the business and get some function there as well, we'll see how that goes.

And why are you looking for a new phone? I thought you just got yours less than 6 months ago? I've heard the 5 is definitely faster, slimmer, and pretty capable overall - but definitely not a game changer or something someone should be super excited about to jump out of their 4 in a hurry just to get it. Certainly if I needed a new phone I'd get a 5 over a 4, but I'm in no position to judge really. And I'd definitely consider a note, I didn't know they had a new one out newer than yours - didn't they just come out with the one you have? The size of the screen was just awesome for a phone, would love to have that size as I'm not going to tote this ipad around everywhere, it's definitely not meant to replace my phone. What's up with your phone?

Latest posts