The "new" Mercedes...?

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
WTF...?!

I'm watching the Ravens / Pats game right now and they've shown this commercial 3 times already. They keep advertising (with "Sympathy for the Devil" in the background) that "something new is coming on February 3rd".

The WTF part here is the fact that I thought the shot of the headlight indicated that it's a BMW. At the end of the commercial they show the Mercedes sign and logo. At first I was all like "Wow. Great. Another BMW. Yay." :rolleyes:

Then you see that it's Merc! WTF - why in gods holy name does the headlight look like the exact same shape of the ones on the new school Bimmers....!? :eek3: :notsure:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
They're all becoming more and more alike. Car styling today sucks IMO. it's starting to get better, but for a long time it's been horrible as a whole.

I haven't paid close enough to the ads to see the headlights. Playin wif muh fone :D

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Certainly ate my words here.

The new CLA. This thing is frikkin' nuts!

:bananapirate: :rock2:

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
You thinking of getting one, Jason? When I was in high school I used to read Car and Driver, Cycle World, and look at PB and PH, and H, and think the world was my oyster. 20 years later reality has set in :sadshake:

Reactions: 2 people

Walt

Oct 31, 2013
Embdien Park, my own creation, my own laws
I drove all the BMW/BENZ/Porsche mini SUV models and ended up getting Jen a Denali, I just didn't see where they had any extra value and the sales people are arrogant turds, just because I show up in a carhart and dirty jeans does not me me an arse( ok, I am an arsehole but that is not the point)

Reactions: 1 person

bplust

Dec 4, 2013
Wheelock
I drove all the BMW/BENZ/Porsche mini SUV models and ended up getting Jen a Denali, I just didn't see where they had any extra value and the sales people are arrogant turds, just because I show up in a carhart and dirty jeans does not me me an arse( ok, I am an arsehole but that is not the point)

Ya, I know nothing about the new ones, but the oldie diesels w114-w123 (late 60's to 1985) chassis (if they're not falling apart and you don't care about speed) are excellent. Bombproof and simple. Mechanical diesels, you gotta love it...

Regarding speed, in the pictures I posted, the silver wagon is a turbo diesel, so it actually can make it up hills, but the blue sedan epitomizes a car being a "pig". If I remember correctly, the factory 0-60 is, no joke, 27 seconds. 2.2L 4 speed (I think) around 5000GVW with a top speed of 86mph. There is an easy mod to get it to do 0-60 in three seconds flat... you push it off of a cliff...

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Sep 29, 2013
surrey bc can
ferrari

had a f40 about 15 yrs ago. then I woke up... used to admire bmw's, etc. seems like they're just status symbols now... the "ultimate driving machine" certainly doesn't attract the ultimate drivers... 'round here anyway...

Walt

Oct 31, 2013
Embdien Park, my own creation, my own laws
I have owned a few cool cars and always wanted a Viper, opportunity came knocking in 2004 when a very well off guy I knew came home one day to find his wife riding another man...in his desperation to sell off his assets he sold me his 1994 viper with 9,966 miles on it for cheap. It was blinding fast but...you cannot park it anywhere and the ride was really not all that great, it did 105mph before hitting the rev limiter in second gear...but it had six gears and cops get really friendly when you are doing 155 on the highway. I traded the car with just under 11,000 miles on it in 2008. Give me an old truck anyday