The Official Chity Stihl thread

Hoggwood

Jun 20, 2014
Okanagan , BC
Got this one running today. Been sitting in a guy's shed for a hell'a long time.

Needed some gas. My favorite kind of fix. Never ran/owned one in this series before 'till this AM. Pretty decent sounding and nice idle. Top end looks new through the funky muffler cover under the recoil side. I figured something might have happened to it to keep the mileage down.

Stihl 011AV (1).JPGStihl 011AV (2).JPGStihl 011AV (3).JPG

Hoggwood

Jun 20, 2014
Okanagan , BC
That's a mighty clean one, Cory. First thing to usually go on those is the recoil decal. Musta been in a case in an environmentally controlled shed!
Not sure how it ended up in a shed, but it was covered in a healthy sheen of cake. Perceptive comment on the decals. They were 3/4's detached. I cleaned the surfaces and glued them back down with some spray tack. Took a good long while to get the oil pump drinking. Seems to work well now. Grabbed my first Homey VI-130SL at the same time. It Hadn't faired as well. Cosmetically, it took a smack. Brake/cover are cracked and the dinky S-shaped clutch busted. Top end is great, as it had lower mileage as well.

eye traded a 20" stihl bar for fullwrap 7-10, w/new oregon 20".

View attachment 60987
Fair deal. 5200 straight across woulda sweetened it. Bigger 10-series Macs are ultra rare around here.
I should list a couple Stihl's for trade locally. Wonder what kind of vintage muscle it might attract.

Nixon

Aug 5, 2013
West Sunbury Pa.
I’ve a question on an MS460 . This thing is a pig to start . It really grabs the handle back out of your hand on most starts . It hasn’t always done this . The key ,and keyway for the Flywheel are good .
So, could it be that the coil is bad ? As I understand it , the coil retards the timing a bit electronically for starting ,then goes to whatever the spec timing is at a certain rpm . Am I off base thinking that it is likely a coil related problem ? TIA

Majorpayne

Wallet Washer
Nov 18, 2012
Southern Illinois
I’ve a question on an MS460 . This thing is a pig to start . It really grabs the handle back out of your hand on most starts . It hasn’t always done this . The key ,and keyway for the Flywheel are good .
So, could it be that the coil is bad ? As I understand it , the coil retards the timing a bit electronically for starting ,then goes to whatever the spec timing is at a certain rpm . Am I off base thinking that it is likely a coil related problem ? TIA
I had a 044 that would jerk the handle out of my hand. There was a little slop between the key and key way so I retarded it enough that it started easier.