The working/hunting/tree cutting/chainsaw/dogman THREAD!!!!!

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
My friend who know me, could say I am a mixed bag of trick's, and skills. During the week I work for the county of Sonoma, in road maintenance. We do anything, and everything, but do a lot of cutting, and tree work. I was transfered to this yard 2 years ago, and before I arrived most of the tree work was contracted. And the saws were in a pile on a shop floor like a free for all. That is all changed now. It is know a well oil machine, tree work and chainsaw maintenance. Some of my friends here, and not here yet! Helped me grow, and learn and put it into knowledge, and a working program! I play hard on the weekends too. If we not Boar hunting, and running the dogs, We are usually doing some kind of cutting, tree work or saw related activity. I take alot of pride in all I just mentioned, and all these areas I continue to learn, and push myself. Skill level, stamina, attitude you name it. I have also helped many friends, and family over the years with tree removals. I like the ones that make you think, and really have to create a all of it's own game plan. Like chasing an old Boar that has bested me, and the dogs more than once. We are currently doing a big cutting project at work, off steep banks really overgrown. All has to come out by hand. Most want to walk away I volunteered. To sum it all up I have had funny looks on the freeway, a ford ranger white, blue camper big whip antena. 3 dogs in the camper, four wheeler int a trailer I tow, chainsaw everywhere, and ropes wood in the trailer, dead pig on the rack. What is your mix?

Reactions: 1 person

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Nice, Randy two of mine are curs. Tanner, and Jack brothers. And the brindle dog is Jude my little staffordshire. Little gladiator! We are going cutting in the am, a work day on one of our hunting ranches.100_0966.jpg100_0962.jpg100_0964.jpg100_0965.jpg

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Got a hazardous removal, next Saturday I think. For a very good friend of our's, he is also my vet, and has really helped with all our animals, who I dearly love. A nasty storm last weekend brought close to 6 inches of rain, and high wind. Got a call from my friend Kevin, said a few trees came down I just got a look at em, and thinking em over. Been doing tree work since I was fourteen, and found no two trees are the same, nor two jobs. This one will be interesting but we will get it done. They were black oaks that blew over four are already down, and what Kevin did not see one is mostly uprooted, and still barely standing, near his house. If it goes it will clear the house, there is another and a hard leaner over the house. I checked the stump, and looked it over real good. Got a few splits, and the roots are pulling some. The fun will be the first tree I mentioned is leaning against this one, well pretty close, but don't want John in the leaner until the first one is out. We will have to pull it over backwards, or block it down, by that I mean cut the base, and let it drop, and do that a few times until it comes down, and that's alway's interesting. The other that has the root pull, and splits on the stump I judge it to be sound to climb almost border line. To be safe I think we will wrap it with my bull rope, and anchor it of to some sound trees like a dead man. I would fall it but the lean is all toward the house, and won't clear it. I want my buddy Kevin to be all good before another Storm. I will have pics!:banana::banana:

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
P.S for those who have not heard me mention him, or seen him before here he his. John Parmeter one of my all time best friends. First met him when I moved to Cazadero in 1987. He comes from logging, and timberfalling lineage. He was born to climb, and run a saw. Me, and John with the dogs he is also one of the best dog men I ever run with.

Attachments

• 100_0680.jpg
    100_0680.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0789.jpg
    100_0789.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_0980.jpg
    100_0980.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 101_0434.jpg
    101_0434.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 15

Poncho

Mar 5, 2012
Lacrosse WI
I am a dog man myself. These are Duetsch Drahthaars. Meet Yatt (pronounced Wyatt) & Kade

motomedik

Feb 26, 2012
Dogs truly are man's best friend. Currently I have a lab mix and a dachshund. Little dogs were never my thing, till the wife brought Ollie home, and now I have to admit he's pretty cool. Too small to take to the woods, though.
Good to hear that there are others like me who'd rather work out cutting and dragging brush than pay for a membership at the gym. Sometimes I even make a few bucks, but usually just get free wood, and I'm good with that. Most people think I'm nuts, or stupid! Generally I can prove otherwise.

Attachments

• Cloe drummin, wood and dog 015.jpg
    Cloe drummin, wood and dog 015.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
REP sent, my new brother welcome! Yes I am a dog lover to the core. Little dogs weren't my thing either, until my best buddy Jesus, brought home a chiuhuaha, terier mix. Name Chulo I call him chalupo he is about the size of a grande burrito! We hunt pigs hard, been called extremist's, special forces, crazy you name it, but we live it and love our dogs. Well little chulo will find any pig in the country we found out. He will take on, and stop a 300 pound boar and bite em right on the ass! They can't do nothing about it he is so small. All personality! Love that guy.

motomedik

Feb 26, 2012
Back at ya. Thanks!
Yeah, not too much to say usually, but discussions about the furry ones get me to come out of the background a bit. They love to work, just like we do, and although i don't hunt them (the little one hunts rodents while I split and stack), they are fairly obedient, and I generally have no need for a leash. Meanwhile all my neighbors are walking their poor fat dogs that never get to run.

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
yep, our animals are a big part of Jeanie, and mines life. I don't talks to many about certain things like my love or concerns with them, because most people won't understand. To us they are so special part of the familly.

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Drahtharts, no did not know that. Not real familiar with the breed give me a run down. I am curious now, split some wood today, and the dogs and cats enjoyed it.

Attachments

• 101_1480.jpg
    101_1480.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 101_1460.jpg
    101_1460.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_1461.jpg
    101_1461.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_1462.jpg
    101_1462.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 101_1471.jpg
    101_1471.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 9

Poncho

Mar 5, 2012
Lacrosse WI
Drahtharts, no did not know that. Not real familiar with the breed give me a run down. I am curious now, split some wood today, and the dogs and cats enjoyed it.

Drahthaars are a mongrel breed made from the crossing of the Stichelhaar, Wirehaired Griffon, Pudelpointer and Deutsch Kurzhaar over a 100 years ago. The breed orginization, (VDD-GNA) is based in Germany and every REAL Drahthaar in the world will have a tattoo in it's right ear with a number that corresponds to a book called an anhfetal that is published once a year.

http://vdd-gna.org/

http://www.drahthaar.com/

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Good deal Poncho, I just learned a bit from ya on a new to me, dog breed. And I am a dog man Love em, and learning new breeds. Back to cutting and hauling wood last friday. This tree did not come down. we actually saved it. Owners at first where wondering about a takedown on it, and we suggested to leave it. They were only worried if it ever fell it would take out some neighbooring wire fence. We explained we would have to take down the fence to remove it. And if the day it falls ever comes we will cut it up, and do the fence in one shot. Made em happy it's on one of our hunting ranches. We do love to cut big wood though. And yep the pups were with me.

Attachments

• DSCF0083.jpg
    DSCF0083.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0081.jpg
    DSCF0081.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0082.jpg
    DSCF0082.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5

nwpalumberjack

Jan 13, 2012
NW Pennsylvania
I've been training a Running Walker for the last 2 months. He treed with other dogs a bunch of times already. He'd already split treed with the other dogs but hadn't ever treed when he was the only dog in the woods. I took him out by himself the other night and he treed again. Sure was exciting, felt like one of my kids had done something. This is my first time working with a hound, sure is a good time.

Reactions: 2 people

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Nice NWP, I love working dogs running dogs, sporting dogs. Whatever love em live for them! Walkers are a wonderfull breed, run a few that had a mix, or cross. A couple full blood too. Mine in the pics the two tan ones, are 3/4 BMC, and 1/4 walker.