Thinking about a new trailer

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I have a Pequea 5x10, 2999gvwr utility trailer that has been absolutely bullet proof. I like the small size but wish the gvwr was a little bit higher and had brakes for hauling firewood. I thought about changing out the 3500# axle for a 5200 or 6000 but then we are talking about $700+ when you factor in new tires. At that point I might as well buy a new trailer. I don't think I want to go much bigger in size so I don't have to worry about space for storing it, and I can carry more firewood (weight) with a smaller trailer. Can anyone suggest a brand of trailer? I would go with another Pequea but they are hard to find up here. PJ trailers look nice too.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
A dual axle is probably overkill for a 5x10, but I would imagine That may be where you're headed? Without being custom it doesn't seem likely to me that you'll find a real high capacity trailer in that size. Perhaps one of those dump style trailers, I've seen them in a smaller size. Bri-Mar comes to mind? Pricey I'd be though.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
A dual axle is probably overkill for a 5x10, but I would imagine That may be where you're headed? Without being custom it doesn't seem likely to me that you'll find a real high capacity trailer in that size. Perhaps one of those dump style trailers, I've seen them in a smaller size. Bri-Mar comes to mind? Pricey I'd be though.
I'd like to stay single axle for simplicity and efficiency of towing. Two tires and brakes are easier/cheaper to maintain than 4 and I don't like pulling around more weight that I can't use. I can get a 5200lb axle on any size trailer from Pequea or PJ.

I looked at those small dump trailers but they are pricey at around $3k.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I'd like to stay single axle for simplicity and efficiency of towing. Two tires and brakes are easier/cheaper to maintain than 4 and I don't like pulling around more weight that I can't use. I can get a 5200lb axle on any size trailer from Pequea or PJ.

I looked at those small dump trailers but they are pricey at around $3k.
If you have the skillset and the tools - I'd retrofit your trailer. I think in the end it will be cheaper. I have a 7x14 single axle trailer, 3000# gvw and I think it ran $1600 5 years ago. I would think for $750 or under you could do up your trailer. Have you looked at prices for new trailers that fit your needs? I haven't and don't know exactly where to look but can't imagine a retrofit should run up too high.

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Im with Tom, the road you are heading down, would be more dual axle country. I think its the only way to really get the GVWR higher, yes new axle too, but your old trailer all around was built around a designated GVWR. I would go trailer shoppin, and maybe do a trade in. The double axles they make today, you hardly notice they tow like a dream. Plus the heavier load reall y needs two axles to distribute it evenly, that's my opinion, may be wrong.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Thanks guys. I have made up my mind about the trailer. For now, I am going to leave the 3500lb axle but add brakes and then replace the whole trailer when we move in a couple of years. I really do need a dual axle trailer for the weight and load distribution but I have no place to store a larger trailer currently. I don't want to dump a lot of money into a new axle for this trailer when it would be roughly half the price of a new one. I can get a 6x12 or 6x14 dual axle trailer for $1500-1600 with one brake axle. Tom, if you ever need a new trailer, get the hell out of Maine. Prices up there are ridiculously high. Looking at trailers down here in PA at my parents makes me realize how isolated we really are up in Maine. There are at least a dozen places to get a good deal on trailers here, even more at my in-laws in Cincinnati.

:cheers:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I see wicked prices in ga, they seem to be rock bottom down there! My inlaws grandparents live in PA, good business trip and pick up a trailer while I'm out :D

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I see wicked prices in ga, they seem to be rock bottom down there! My inlaws grandparents live in PA, good business trip and pick up a trailer while I'm out :D
I was just in Atlanta. Whirlwind holiday travel this year. Low prices make sense down there. Carry-On, PJ, Currahee, All-Pro and a bunch of other trailer manufacturers are located in GA.

If you are looking for a solid new trailer that is easy on the pocket, check out Pequea. They are made in PA and mine has been amazing. After 9 or 10 years not a spot of rust anywhere on the trailer and nothing other than lights have been an issue.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I have a sure-trac with an estimated 30-50k miles on it, no problems. Second set of tires. It's been an awesome trailer so far. Didn't need it but we replaced hubs and bearings to stay ahead of the game, this thing sees constant and rugged use.

Jan 29, 2013
Rhode Island
I'm in the market for a new trailer also, I'm looking at new goosenecks, I studied them all, my 2 cents is pj is the caddy, of all trailers.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I'm in the market for a new trailer also, I'm looking at new goosenecks, I studied them all, my 2 cents is pj is the caddy, of all trailers.
PJ is good trailers, We had a 32' PJ dual tandem 12ton gooseneck. Good well built heavy, but almost too heavy for a ton truck after you put something on the trailer.

Kaufman makes a good trailer as well. Another well built heavy duty trailer is a Belshe. They aren't many out there,(they build Ditch Witch trailer mainly) but they are a very nice heavy duty trailers. If we ever need another trailer I'll probably get another Belshe.