This is how I roll....

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
The wife and I have lived in our house since 2007. It's up in the hills and in the backwoods. It's a tiny place but we love it here. We live in a 400sq ft cabin and there's no running water. In the beginning of November 2010 I decided to put a bathroom in the place. There was a small enclosed area inside the house that was used as a bathroom but it didn't really qualify as one. This small area had an incinerating toilet and an old metal shower stall with a camp shower bag hanging inside of it. We used it for quite some time and even showered outside a lot. We were doing some talking at the end of last fall about what to do to the house as far as improvements and the idea of having a fully functional bathroom was seen as the most important.

Now remember, there's no running water or septic. I had to make this all work but I really had no clue where to start. I had some ideas of using a 45 gallon plastic drum as a reservoir, hooking up a small pump, and keep the drum heated for showers. But it just seemed to be too much work to make happen. I had to improvise and be creative about how to go about building a shower and sink system. I fetch water in a town nextdoor to me. It flows out of a pipe which comes out of a concrete wall on the side of the road and it's spring fed. It flows 24hrs a day and it's as fresh as water gets. I fill up five 5gallon containers and it usually lasts 2-3 days. Need to dig a cistern well soon.

So anyways....
This is what I had to start out with. It really wasn't much at the time and it was an interesting three and a half years dealing with having only this as a bathroom!!

Here it was all completed. I took me about a month to build it. I spent a lot of time (as always) just staring and wondering what to do and how to go about it. Things came to gether one by one and I'm actually really happy with how it all turned out!! It's fully functional. I've got water flow for both the sink and shower with the help of the battery powered pumps (4D batteries to power the pumps, the pumps turn on with the red on/off toggle switch on the batter pack). I was going to make my own pump system but these things are only $30 at Gander Mountain. These camp pumps are freakin' great! I have changed the batteries once in the shower pump and the originals are still in the sink pump. In a year I've pumped water for the sink and shower with only 12 D size batteries! The reservoir for the sink is the 5 gallon bucket on the floor, and the reservoir for the shower is the red 4 gallon pot on the shelf. The metal rod with the cord attached to it is a bucket heater - in 30 minutes the water is hot enough to take a shower (in 45 minutes the water boils, it's a good bucket heater!). The toilet is the compost toilet. You do your business (number 1 or number 2) and you cover it up with the peat moss I have in the metal barrel next to the toilet. Toilet paper and everything gets composted. The receptacle is a 5 gallon bucket, when it's full you empty it out into the compost pile outside. In one year you have highly nutrient enriched composted soil for gardens. The toilet paper holder was my favorite accent of everything. It just popped into my head and I went with it - I figured it'd be a nice touch and a cool way to keep using pipes and not just limit their use for directing the hose for the pump through them for the water. Gotta turn the shower on and off while using it as you only have 4 gallons but it's definitely more than enough water. The wife loves the whole deal. It's been about a year since we've had this bathroom and it's cool as hell I was able to put this all together.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Reactions: 10 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Here's the 4 1/2 gallon pot I use for the heated shower. It has the pump going to it along with the bucket heater. If the heater runs for more than a half an hour or so the water gets scolding hot! I'd like to build a thermostat control for it which would be pretty cool. But for now I just use an oven timer and when it goes off it's about ready.

Here's the shower. You'll see the shower head along with the control / battery box for the pump.

Reactions: 8 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Here's the sink. Same idea, only it;s in a plastic bucket and the water is not heated.

Now the compost toilet. It's very simple. It's a wooden box that has a closing lid (with a toilet seat) and a circular opening that fits over a 5 gallon bucket. It gets a few inches of peat moss / saw dust at the bottom, then you do your business and cover it up when you're done. When the bucket is full you add it to your compost pile outside then clean the bucket out. No odor, no smell. That's it. Works awesome and there's no better way of doing it IMO.

Custom made TP dispenser!

Reactions: 6 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
And really that's all there is to it. We love the lifestyle we live and we wouldn't trade it for anything. It's pretty kick ass living up in the hills and in the woods. My neighbor Dan (the westspartan) lives right nextdoor and he uses the exact same toilet setup I use. He can vouch for how odorless and awesome it is. He and his family live similar to the way my wife and I live. He dug his own well for running water though. And he has quite a few projects going on at his place. It's cool as hell having a neighbor/friend into so many of the same things you are into. What I like about my water system is if the electric goes out, I still can stake a shower and use the sink. If I need to heat water I can do it via the wood stove or even do it outside over the fire where I cook all my food (that's a whole 'nother thread though ;)). Kinda funny, I have an Xbox, a smart phone, a 50" flat screen and wifi with Road Runner internet - but I don't have "running water".
Go figure.... :lol: :D :banana:

Reactions: 20 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
Jason that's a cool setup. I would have never thought of doing things that way myself. :thumbsup:

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Jan 10, 2012
Ulser County N.Y.
tip o the hat to you and your wife ; our well pump took a dump 2 weeks ago [on a sunday ] we camped at home for 2 days . filling the toilet tanks from gallon jugs that i refilled at the neighbors , bought a case of drinkable gallons for brushin teeth and washing up a bit . wifey was very relieved to have the water back [to the tune of 3900.00 for pump/wire/480 ft well pipe and pump protector electronics] . i coulda held out for a couple more days but not the rest of the fam . dont think they coulda survived on the frontier lol cheers jimmy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

procarbine2k1

Jan 10, 2012
Nothing but respect for that Jason! Enjoyed reading this thread, read it last week and forgot to post...

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Pretty creative little buddy! Hillbilly in New york I like it! My mom tried to get me to move there in the 90's, shed lived in Manhatten I think. For 4 years, and tried to convince me there were hills somewhere in N.Y LOL! I have heard from others and do believe it. I would like to see pics of your area never really seen it.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Lol d00d I'm nowhere near New York City!

I'm up in the woody hillz of western NY! Ever hear of the Adirondacks?!

Sounds like you need to see some real country and backwoods! C'mon out here Norm and I'll show ya how real men get down in the woodz with a saw.... ;) :D :p :yup: :banana:

Reactions: 6 people

motomedik

Feb 26, 2012
Really nice job on the bathroom project, dude. I love the use of the galv pipe for the TP holder and the faucets. Very nicely done!! You and Dan and your wives have certainly proven that the simpler way is just fine and you can still have all the gadgets too. Good job!

When my wife came here she was a newby to the wood heating thing. She thought she would be cold all the time and was not sure how she would deal with it. Quite the opposite, many times we have the doors/windows open in the winter! She loves it and I am always impressed what a good fire keeper she is, unless I'm home, then she just lets me do it!

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs. J

May 20, 2012
Whoa! You are way more hillbilly than us ky folks. Lol.

You cook all your food on fire outside?

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs. J

May 20, 2012
We have a Livingston co here. It's where all the cousins marry their cousins.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Black Dog Chainsaw .325 058 chain - 100' roll or loops For Sale 0
griffonks Stihl chain roll prices Chainsawz 31
WoodChuck'r Do a barrel roll. GeekHawgz! 7
BloodOnTheIce Oregon Chain 73LGX 25' Roll For Sale 2