Time For A New Rant: Seatbelt Laws

Freehand

Bump-Shizzy
Apr 7, 2013
Bitches Be Trippin
So last week I'm in another town doing an install and lunch time rolls around. I hop in the truck to roll three blocks over to get a sandwich. Sans goddam seatbelt. One block away I roll up next to a city cop who is staring at me in his rear view mirror. I resign myself as I know what is coming, too late to tug the damn thing on now. He makes a big show of getting behind me and flips on the blues.

"We're on our click it or ticket campaign right now, and I'm sorry but I have no choice but to write you this ticket". So glad I could "contribute" their ✖✖✖✖ing campaign.

I live in a state with no helmet laws but a hard line seat belt mandate. Strap the kids in? Absolutely. Rolling in rush hour on the interstate? I'll snap that bitch on. Three blocks to go get a goddam sammich? LEAVE ME THE ✖✖✖✖ ALONE.

Fifty bucks down the ✖✖✖✖ter.

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
The law pisses me off. It should be my choice to wear the damn thing if I choose.

The only time I wear mine is if I'm on a long trip or go to the city, otherwise mine is never on.

Boxelder

Mar 5, 2014
Maine
Chity, that "feeling" isn't really your fault.... it's just the culmination of all the insidious little incremental processes that take place in an over - regulated over - legislative place like (but not limited to) New York. They lull you into maybe a false sense of security and dupe or frighten you into submission... so they don't actually have to watch you all the time but make you worry that they might be...
I remember some years ago driving north in a deserted section of I-87 when I came up on maybe 6 or 8 cars doing exactly 55 mph. I passed them at 65 or 70 and a few miles later saw a 55 mph sign. My wife said, "You're going too fast..." so I cut it back to 60 and cruised on... I told her that for a moment I forgot I was in New York. ....
Once on LI near NYC my brother in law told me that I would get arrested for taking pictures of bridges... we'll guess what... never got stopped by the Bridge Photography Police.
I agree with the laws against stealing and killing and so forth but most of the other "nanny state" stuff is complete crap. I like to say that I "incubated" in New York but I grew up after I left. I feel sorry for some of the folks back there.

Freehand

Bump-Shizzy
Apr 7, 2013
Bitches Be Trippin
This was the first traffic stop I've encountered where I hand over my license and my CCW and the cop tells me if my weapon is not on me I shouldn't show the CCW. Not what my instructor and a dozen other cops told me. Last thing I want is a nervous cop who just ran my license and saw my CCW pop up come back to my truck with his weapon drawn asking why I'm hiding the fact I may well be carrying…...

exSW

phish phallus phantasy
Oct 8, 2013
Out there
This was the first traffic stop I've encountered where I hand over my license and my CCW and the cop tells me if my weapon is not on me I shouldn't show the CCW. Not what my instructor and a dozen other cops told me. Last thing I want is a nervous cop who just ran my license and saw my CCW pop up come back to my truck with his weapon drawn asking why I'm hiding the fact I may well be carrying…...
You are beginning to discover Municipalities get what they pay for when it comes to LE.Some places think any cop is better than none.

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I agree its screwed up. Ive only gotten pulled over once over not wearing a seat belt, and i never wear it. The officer was a city police and i actually got pulled over at night for speeding. Anyways, he asked me if I was wearing my seat belt and i said, No. He then asked me ,why not? i said, well my daughter didnt have one to put on when she got on the school bus this morning so i figured i didnt need to wear one either. He kinda looked at me funny and said well ya you got a point! He let me go without any kind of ticket lol. I still dont wear my seat belt to the day....probably should though.

stihl sawing

I'm DD mf'ers
Jan 12, 2012
Arkysaw
I was told the same thing, always acknowledge you are have a CCW and tell him you have a gun in the truck. You know years ago Arkansas had a helmet law. then the Harley popularity began and they don't like wearing helmets. they don't look cool. so they did away with it. Hard to figure the seat belt law and no helmet law too.

Dan in WI

Aug 1, 2013
The Epiphany in the Madness
It is what it is....

Last edited:

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Michigan law requires us to inform a officer, I now that Florida does not require it.

A few years back I was involved in a accident and I informed the officer that I was carrying and showed my card. She told me that she didn't need to know that....

veedubber

Firewood Idiot
Oct 28, 2013
Surrey BC
I've been rear ended by distracted drivers and combined with her SUV that won't stop chiming when your not wearing a belt, I have been pretty much forced to wear it. Helmets are optional for our new "Canadians" when riding as well.

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
I'm convinced that my CCW license has saved me from two different tickets.

One was about two years back, I was in a semi and got pulled over for expired tabs (3 years) and no seatbelt. I gave the cop my license and CCW card. He said good for you for carrying and then we talked guns for a bit.. I left with only a ticket if some sort to prove we had up to date tabs...

Then about three weeks back I got pulled over for 10 over, no seatbelt and then no proof of insurance in my car. I showed the cop my license and CCW card and he made a comment about how he wishes more people would carry. I left with a "slow down, buckle up and have a great day."

greendohn

pacing is a way of life
Oct 17, 2013
Rush County
Seatbelts are good for your health and most times will lower your medical bills if you're in a crash,,airbags are good for you as well.
Helmets and motorcycles are a good combo, although I don't always wear mine.
Freedom dictates an adult should be able to decide for themselves.
An oppressive government dictates it knows what's good for you...