Quantcast

TK owns a Stihl that runs!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Yup, got the MS261 going. Rounded up all the parts I needed and got it in usable form. Even drilled out that little high side carb needle stop while I was in there. The only thing I done to it other than that is yank the muffler screen. Which is all I've done to the 550. So now I can get to some comparisons of the saws :D

And a video, because seeing is believing.
[video=youtube;7uWM9tJvNBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uWM9tJvNBc[/video]

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Awwww shooooot, why not pop a sticker over that ugly crack in the top cover and make it all purdy :cool:

Cut4fun

Reaction score
Cale's 261 when stock was compared to a stock 550 with videos and times are out there. Neck and neck

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I'm not solely interested in cut times ;)

mweba

Reaction score
I really liked that saw with only one small gripe, the rear handle is skinny. The ergonomics of them feels funny to me. That goes for most Stihl designed saws though.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Yes I did notice the skinny handle right away, but am not going to judge it til I cut with it with and without gloves. There are quite a few things I didn't like about the construction as I put it all together, but I shouldn't judge that either as they were things that aren't going to be worked on unless somehow I break it again. Wrap handle is completely made out of plastic, that I noticed. Those tend the break instead of bend. Which can be argued both ways, and I like the benefits both styles offer.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Stickers ain't cheap.

Stihls will nickel and dime you for a few parts compared to husky - just to get running.

I turned it sideways and all I heard was "nein!!! Nein!!!!"

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Reaction score
cheapazz husky dealer. best have some cheapazz saws. :facepalm:

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Stickers ain't cheap.

Stihls will nickel and dime you for a few parts compared to husky - just to get running.

I turned it sideways and all I heard was "nein!!! Nein!!!!"

You only needed 3 parts! HAHAHA after a 40 foot fall is pretty good.

All be it a tank housing, handle, and rewind assembly but it was only 3 part numbers.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
You only needed 3 parts! HAHAHA after a 40 foot fall is pretty good.

All be it a tank housing, handle, and rewind assembly but it was only 3 part numbers.

No I needed everything in the fuel tank - trigger and all - wrap handle and everything attached to it, and the recoil!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
If id have had a Stihl ipl I coulda given the whole list ahead of time. I don't remember how the conversation went but I thought I mentioned the av crap but hell I don't remember lol. I can't hardly remember what I done yesterday lol.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
At least that thing was cheap to begin with, but at at least one part is still missing!

I left that part off to save weight and improve balance ;) it's missing a considerable portion of the crankcase on the bar side, so I figure that should make up for some sideways balance issues and the inboard clutch! :D :D

SawTroll

Reaction score
I left that part off to save weight and improve balance ;) it's missing a considerable portion of the crankcase on the bar side, so I figure that should make up for some sideways balance issues and the inboard clutch! :D :D

Maybe they should start making them that way! :hmm:

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score

That looks like what Husky did with the 550 and 562 saws, the oil pump looks awfully vulnerable to
be destroyed by a thrown chain.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
That looks like what Husky did with the 550 and 562 saws, the oil pump looks awfully vulnerable to
be destroyed by a thrown chain.

We shall find out sooner or later. It's going to happen, we'll see how bad it is when it does. I'm sure we'll see a service bulletin if anything bad happens. I would think that is something they test when in pre-production but I'm not involved in that part, just the sales and lack of income.

Latest posts