Tom's McCulloch BP-1

heimannm

Reaction score
I need to have a look at mine again and insure the wheel is making proper contact with the clutch drum to give it the spin. Initially the chain cut very well, interesting splinter like chips. I have only touched it a time or two with the grinding wheel so not much to report.

There were a couple if filing steps you had to take as the chain is repeated resharpened, if I can find any of the details in electronic format I will post. Basically you would periodically clean up the gullets and lower the rakers by filing the back edge. It makes more sense with a drawing.

Mark

old040

Reaction score
Well done Mark, pretty amazing how intricate this saw is designed, always have been impressed by what mcculloch was able to do, would love to know how many engineers it took on the bp-1..........:thumbsup:

Sprintcar

mf'er on the other site
Reaction score
All that I can say to my friend in Iowa is WOW! You are the master.

Did you ever get that saw that went East fixed yet?

Jerry

Reaction score
Mark and Allen,

I have a Mac honey hole that was an original Mac dealer back in the day. The old guy that has run it for the last 55 years is still spry and loves to talk about the old stuff. The next time I'm up there I'll feel him out for anything BP-1 related literature or spare parts for you. He still has a huge stash of old Mac stuff on the shelf and in the back storage unit. [emoji846]

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
Mark and Allen,

I have a Mac honey hole that was an original Mac dealer back in the day. The old guy that has run it for the last 55 years is still spry and loves to talk about the old stuff. The next time I'm up there I'll feel him out for anything BP-1 related literature or spare parts for you. He still has a huge stash of old Mac stuff on the shelf and in the back storage unit. [emoji846]

:bananacorn:

mcbob

Drongo
Reaction score
Mark I found most of the auto type sharp chains great when there new but sadly lacking during service on the later PM320's and PM340's which were fitted with the low profile 3/8" chain I swapped them all over to normal 3/8" less hassle and happy customers ............... sorry I always thought the Auto-Sharp chain a gimmick aimed at the home user market.

And rarely you got the edge back on it it got from the factory

McBob

Latest posts