Too wet and rainy.....

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Truth be told, while it was raining and I took that first pic, I was waiting for the dump truck to come with 21 tons of gravel. 21 tons of gravel being delivered for me to spread by hand.... :facepalm:

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
why didnt the dump truck spread it on his way out ?? or at least make a couple smaller piles !!:huh:

Maybe Jason didn't have room initially?

This is the kind of project you do when you're young, and then remember when you're 60 years old and you've pulled a muscle in your back and are stoved up for two weeks.

When I was little, my dad was laid off from his job for about a month or so in the spring- so he decided to put new gravel down on our driveway- all four miles of it.
It took him three weeks and at the end he said "I'm gonna feel this when I'm 65."

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
lol I'm talking about this subject in two different threads.....

This was my response to Mitch in the Hedgefest thread when he asked he how I went about spreading it -

Two guys, two shovels, a rake, a heavy duty hand dump cart, 8hrs, a little sweat, elbow grease, and patience.

I spread 8 loads of gravel last fall by hand (21 tons each). The one from the other day was the 9th. I'll prolly need another 12 this year, then I should be done.

And holy hell, prices went WAY the ✖✖✖✖ up. The load I had delivered on Friday was $40 more than it was last fall. It never ends does it....

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Maybe Jason didn't have room initially?

This is the kind of project you do when you're young, and then remember when you're 60 years old and you've pulled a muscle in your back and are stoved up for two weeks.

When I was little, my dad was laid off from his job for about a month or so in the spring- so he decided to put new gravel down on our driveway- all four miles of it.
It took him three weeks and at the end he said "I'm gonna feel this when I'm 65."

I've had a bad back since I was 18. Working at a ski resort makes ya lift and use and abuse yer back pretty bad.....

But yeah, I'm 31 so shoveling gravel is a great way to spend a day IMO. And I'll be feeling this long before I turn 65, lol. Though I might as well bust my ass while I'm young and healthy enough to be able to!

By the time I can afford a backhoe to do all my heavy work, everything will be done, so the backhoe will just sit and never get used, lol.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
why didnt the dump truck spread it on his way out ?? or at least make a couple smaller piles !!:huh:

I usually do that if it's going to be spread out over a wider area, but that pile didn't last long. I usually have it dumped in a low spot that I'm filling in so some of the work is already done for me. I've got another load coming on Thursday. Gotta backfill the well I did in January. It's low there and a 21 ton pile of 1.5" crushed gravel doesn't go as far as you might think....

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Jan 10, 2012
Ulser County N.Y.
lol I'm talking about this subject in two different threads.....

This was my response to Mitch in the Hedgefest thread when he asked he how I went about spreading it -

Two guys, two shovels, a rake, a heavy duty hand dump cart, 8hrs, a little sweat, elbow grease, and patience.

I spread 8 loads of gravel last fall by hand (21 tons each). The one from the other day was the 9th. I'll prolly need another 12 this year, then I should be done.

And holy hell, prices went WAY the ✖✖✖✖ up. The load I had delivered on Friday was $40 more than it was last fall. It never ends does it....

thought I heard an echo in here here here .....pay attention jason ....some of us are trying to follow along ...but we didnt know thread jumping was normal :screwy::whatthehell:

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Jason, ya know you can rent a Bobcat for under $200.00 for the weekend! LOL If I lived a few miles closer I would have come and done it for you :bananashuffle:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
lol....

If I had 4 or 5 loads dropped off at once I'd fore certain rent something. My buddy Branden who came to Hedgefest helps me everytime a load gets dropped off - takes 6-8hrs of working our asses off and having a good time while we do it. :yup:

I like doing things by hand, I'm weird. :happywink: