Quantcast

Took a chance on circlips

Metals406

346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Reaction score
BIG MISTAKE!

So I ordered a 55 kit from Northwoods, to put on a 51. I take the time to port the jug, put in a new ring pin, deck the jug (by hand), etc. So, like a schmuck I think, "These kits have been out long enough to have better circlips." So I use them and the pin they sent with the kit.

For 4 tanks the fella said she ran like no other saw he's ever ran. In the middle of the cut, the ear of one of the clips breaks off and grenades the top end.

Northwoods are sending a new kit, they're pretty good dudes.

Moral of the story. . . No, they haven't made the aftermarket clips better yet.

Now I have to go through all the bull✖✖✖✖, and all that work again on the new kit. :ranting:

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
BIG MISTAKE!

So I ordered a 55 kit from Northwoods, to put on a 51. I take the time to port the jug, put in a new ring pin, deck the jug (by hand), etc. So, like a schmuck I think, "These kits have been out long enough to have better circlips." So I use them and the pin they sent with the kit.

For 4 tanks the fella said she ran like no other saw he's ever ran. In the middle of the cut, the ear of one of the clips breaks off and grenades the top end.

Northwoods are sending a new kit, they're pretty good dudes.

Moral of the story. . . No, they haven't made the aftermarket clips better yet.

Now I have to go through all the bull✖✖✖✖, and all that work again on the new kit. :ranting:

Dang that sucks but hey At least they are sending a new top end at no cost. Can you find better clips for it that will work?

Could you post some pictures of the carnage of the top end Please?

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Ugh that blows.

✖✖✖✖ty way to hafta go through finding out that the aftermarket circlips aren't any better yet. :grim:

But can understand - I recently went through straight gassing a saw to realize that yer not spodda do that either..... :saywhat: :retarded: :wave:

Metals406

Reaction score
Ugh that blows.

✖✖✖✖ty way to hafta go through finding out that the aftermarket circlips aren't any better yet. :grim:

But can understand - I recently went through straight gassing a saw to realize that yer not spodda do that either..... :saywhat: :retarded: :wave:

I've never done that either. :rolleyes: :wink:

I figured I'd experiment -- I also figured they'd do better than 4 fricken tanks. :meh:

Metals406

Reaction score
Dang that sucks but hey At least they are sending a new top end at no cost. Can you find better clips for it that will work?

Could you post some pictures of the carnage of the top end Please?

Chuck, no pictures -- just imagine throwing part of a hardened circlip into the spark plug hole and running the saw. Scratches, dings, scoring, etc.

As far as clips, always use OEM. I normally would have too.

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
Chuck, no pictures -- just imagine throwing part of a hardened circlip into the spark plug hole and running the saw. Scratches, dings, scoring, etc.

As far as clips, always use OEM. I normally would have too.

Oh ok LOL i know what i scored P&C looks like i had a few come in like that.

Metals406

Reaction score
I'd rather re-use OEM clips than run the meteors. In fact, I have.

I've lost one myself....

Wish they'd fix it so the clips would work!

I did use the pin, and it seemed okay -- maybe .0015" smaller than stock. I usually use OEM on that too, and I probably still will after this.

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Reaction score
People ***** and gripe because I always preach OEM clips and pins, and come up with excuses like "Oh, but the groove on this aftermarket piston is different."

A person still needs to do the work to find an OEM clip that fits and this is the reason why. I learned my lesson early, early on when Bailey's first came out with
the big bore kits and I had a 460 wiped out completely because the cheesy clip failed after about 20 seconds.

Metals406

Reaction score
People ***** and gripe because I always preach OEM clips and pins, and come up with excuses like "Oh, but the groove on this aftermarket piston is different."

A person still needs to do the work to find an OEM clip that fits and this is the reason why. I learned my lesson early, early on when Bailey's first came out with
the big bore kits and I had a 460 wiped out completely because the cheesy clip failed after about 20 seconds.

That was the reason for my little experiment. I figured they would HAVE to have fixed them by now. :eek3:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Somewhat off subject, but not really......

A buddy of mine needed a new wheel bearing for his truck. Had the choice of an SKF hub assembly, or the non packaged assembly which has "Korea" punched in to the cast.

He's a pretty cheap dude, and opted to spend $150 less and buy the Korea hub. Told him he was nuts, but then I was told "It's all the same just different name." He ended up replacing it 4 months later, bitching and whining about how the hub he bought was nothing but junk and these cheap parts should be made better. This isn't his first time going through this either, it's like his 132nd. :screwy:

Not to suggest that you were in the same situation Nate - you clearly weren't. As you said you were kinda figured that the problem should have been fixed by now if they're gonna keep selling parts.....

Not much hope in any non OEM part these days apparently. Not to say that there's always 100% hope in all OEM parts but it seems you have better chances with the more money you spend.

Metals406

Reaction score
Cheap is hit and miss.

I've used some Korean steel that makes the stuff made here seem like crap. There's some HF China products that are a great deal for the money, and do everything a more expensive tool would do.

Like I said, hit and miss. . . The kits themselves seem pretty darn good -- they just need to improve pins and clips. Even if they had to charge 40-50 dollars more, it'd be cheaper than a OEM top end.

Metals406

Reaction score
In the end, a guy is giving people another option for fixing their saws. They won't pay $350 for the parts and $250 for the labor to get them going again -- instead they just get another saw.

That's also where the power if the "up-sell" is at the dealer. They can easily justify those numbers to the customer, give them 50 bucks trade-in for the old saw, and sell them a new one.

Aftermarket stuff makes fixing these things more of an option for folks.

motomedik

Reaction score
In the end, a guy is giving people another option for fixing their saws. They won't pay $350 for the parts and $250 for the labor to get them going again -- instead they just get another saw.

That's also where the power if the "up-sell" is at the dealer. They can easily justify those numbers to the customer, give them 50 bucks trade-in for the old saw, and sell them a new one.

And a good dealer will use just the A/M piston and cylinder but use oem where needed to be able to safely sell the repaired trade.

This thread makes me wonder which of my saws have what circlips...
Usually put in oem but I know I've had to use the ones the came with the piston here and there:banghead:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score

Who in their right mind as a dealer takes nearly 5 hours to pop a new top end ona saw?? :D I charge way too little fer muh werkz lol ;)

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Reaction score
Randy, this is SawHawgz.

The proper grammar for the spelling of Mr Barger'z internet alias is "The Wiggz".

"The Wiggs" is not acceptable here. :grim::duh:

Daaaah Wiggz. Dah Wiggz.

Latest posts