Tore down a low compression 51

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
Guy brought me a Husky 51 to tear into, Said it had 100 psi of compression. Id say so!

The exhaust port has A LOT of carbon in it. Their was carbon behind the ring on the exhaust port side. Check out how the ring is wore so thin on the exhaust side. The ring end gap looks like almost a quarter of a inch just eyeballing it! It still ran through believe it or not. He fired it up before I ever tore it down.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Guy brought me a Husky 51 to tear into, Said it had 100 psi of compression. Id say so!

The exhaust port has A LOT of carbon in it. Their was carbon behind the ring on the exhaust port side. Check out how the ring is wore so thin on the exhaust side. The ring end gap looks like almost a quarter of a inch just eyeballing it! It still ran through believe it or not. He fired it up before I ever tore it down.
Wow, I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it. I've had a few 51's and 55's that wouldn't even fart at 100psi lol. How does everything look? Can you just clean it up and pop a new ring on there or are you looking at a new piston? I don't know who makes the pistons for Ahlborn but I'm trying one of those in the 51 that I'm rebuilding. Can't beat the price to at least try it :D

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
The piston is probably useable, but I told the guy if he wanted to do it right it needed a new piston. It had quite a bit of wear on the skirts, and it felt a little loose in the bore to me. I wouldn't stand behind it without a new piston.

What really got me, is by looking at the outside of the saw, it looks to be a really low hour saw...all the stickers in place, and its still shiny. Pulled the top cover off and it was the nastiest SOB I think Ive ever seen! Air filter was caked up about 1/8th thick! I had to dig around just to find the bolts to tear it down!

I ended up buying it for 20 bucks. The guy just bought a new 445. He wanted this one fixed for an extra, but he said he wasn't spending much money on it since he didn't need it no way.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
The piston is probably useable, but I told the guy if he wanted to do it right it needed a new piston. It had quite a bit of wear on the skirts, and it felt a little loose in the bore to me. I wouldn't stand behind it without a new piston.

What really got me, is by looking at the outside of the saw, it looks to be a really low hour saw...all the stickers in place, and its still shiny. Pulled the top cover off and it was the nastiest SOB I think Ive ever seen! Air filter was caked up about 1/8th thick! I had to dig around just to find the bolts to tear it down!

I ended up buying it for 20 bucks. The guy just bought a new 445. He wanted this one fixed for an extra, but he said he wasn't spending much money on it since he didn't need it no way.
Makes sense. I was lucky enough to have a guy bring this one in and tell me to keep it if I wanted it. And much to my surprise I find it to be in pretty sweet shape needing just a piston :) I'm going to keep this one as an extra until the new 550xp/543xp saws come out. I want a lightweight saw to complement the bigger one.

What year is the 51?

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I didnt even look to see what year it was.

Its stamped 45mm and has a Mahle open port topend.

I didn't need it, or even really want it. He said make him an offer,,, so I did. Ill put a new piston and rings in it, new air filter,fuel filter, and anything else it needs, then somebody will want a good looking firewood saw.

Was all the 51s 45mm?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com

I didn't need it, or even really want it. He said make him an offer,,, so I did. Ill put a new piston and rings in it, new air filter,fuel filter, and anything else it needs, then somebody will want a good looking firewood saw.

Was all the 51s 45mm?
Couldn't tell you if they all were but it wouldn't surprise me. $20 ain't a bad start for a saw that just needs a piston and some minor maintenance :)

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
It needs a chain brake handle and the front edge of the top cover is melted off. I figured I could fix it and put those parts on it, and get my money back, and maybe make a few dollars on it for my time.

...and also he was running a 3/8s low pro bar and chain on a .325 rim. Haha

Reactions: 1 person

StumpysCustoms

Pot-Bellied Pig!
Jan 10, 2012
Wow, I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it. I've had a few 51's and 55's that wouldn't even fart at 100psi lol. How does everything look? Can you just clean it up and pop a new ring on there or are you looking at a new piston? I don't know who makes the pistons for Ahlborn but I'm trying one of those in the 51 that I'm rebuilding. Can't beat the price to at least try it :D
I've been useing the Forester pistons & they seem to be real close to NWP.

StumpysCustoms

Pot-Bellied Pig!
Jan 10, 2012
It needs a chain brake handle and the front edge of the top cover is melted off. I figured I could fix it and put those parts on it, and get my money back, and maybe make a few dollars on it for my time.

...and also he was running a 3/8s low pro bar and chain on a .325 rim. Haha
I might have those parts for ya if you need them. I'll look in the AM.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I used a Forester piston one time...I thought it was a real nice piece, especially for the money. Thats probably whats going in this saw if they make one for it. Im set on running OEM or Caber rings though.....probably just a pet peve I have.......

StumpysCustoms

Pot-Bellied Pig!
Jan 10, 2012
Nice! I'm a little more excited now. Unreal price on these things.

I used a Forester piston one time...I thought it was a real nice piece, especially for the money. Thats probably whats going in this saw if they make one for it. Im set on running OEM or Caber rings though.....probably just a pet peve I have.......
I prefer to use caber rings also. I don't care much for the split groove rings that come with the NWP & Forester pistons.

Spike60

Jan 12, 2012

Was all the 51s 45mm?
ALWAYS a good idea to replace the impulse grommet on these saws. Probably should do the intake tube as wel while you're in there. Both are inexpensive parts.

I've had pretty good luck with both the Forester and Mako pistons. Mako has a somewhat broader selection.

One tidbit on the Forester stuff is that the piston that is listed for the 266 is a real nice full circle windowed item. Although it's only listed for the 266, it obviously will also fit the 268XP and Jonsered 670. Most aftermarket 268 listings are non-windowed pistons for the 268 open port, including those in the Forrester and Mako catelogs. You can put one of them in a closed port jug, and it will run, but it will have no balls at all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Posting a pic in correct orientation ie selling a car and pics are upside down ,,somesideways ?? GeekHawgz! 46
J Pop Science Chainsaw tear down Chainsawz 23
2 new guy from down the street New Memberz Area 8
Bigfun27 036 BURN DOWN Chainsawz 4
H 2 H Took down a Hemlock Hawgz Back 40 11
KenJax Tree Echo 355T won't idle down Chainsawz 10
R Guess what's down again Chainsawz 27
TALLGUY Reed prentice tear down Chainsawz 54
Majorpayne Things I learned while Sawhawgz was down The Razorback Lounge 23
Yukon Stihl Random Chainsaws from my trip down the CAD road Chainsawz 29
H 2 H Old tree down ... Hawgz Back 40 1
Z7extreme AS down Chainsawz 46
thomas1 Sawhawgz down? The Razorback Lounge 9
struggle whats the low down on batteries now? Auto Talk 37
Chity_Avatar Compression and leak down test kit Hawgz Garage 9
Wigglesworth The 064 thunder for down under!! Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 116
mweba Vehicle flip down screen install GeekHawgz! 4
TK Taking down an elm today Hawgz Back 40 13
Freehand Some Heathen Low Count Vandals Defaced My Neighbor's Trash Can The Razorback Lounge 38
G Honda GX390, 12HP electric start, low hours For Sale 2
K Anyone keen on 3/8 low profile sprocket noses? Chainsawz 2
Jimmy in NC 365/372 HD Filter - Convert Low Top to High Top Wanted 2
P TS700 low compression Chainsawz 13
Adirondackstihl 357 XP Low Hour For Sale 7
Majorpayne 3/8 Low Profile Chain Chainsawz 168
J 372xp low top Wanted 4
P How low is your heating cost? Hawgz Back 40 32