TRX250R chainsaw

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
I have a friend at work that I've been pestering about a selling me this 250r motor to make a bike saw out of. This has been on the bucket list to build from the first time I seen one. SO he tells me yesterday to just come get the thing so tonight after work I go over there and it is a basket case! Good deal, saves me the hassle of having to split it as I'm going to cut the tranny and counter shaft off anyhow. Well I find out that he had sold the left crankcase for this motor and now I'm beginning to wonder if this project is a bust as I can not find a left case for a reasonable price. I may be dead in the water before it gets going. I'm not sure if there were many differences in the case halves between the model years or not. Anyone got any info or leads for the left case half I would appreciate any contacts! Here is what I did tonight was cut the tranny and counter shaft off.

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
Frank- what year is that motor? There's quite a few junk motors around here.

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
Cool beans Frank. Let me know if you need any parts. A good friend of mine raced 250R's for probably 10 years. He's got a barn full of R stuff.

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Cool beans Frank. Let me know if you need any parts. A good friend of mine raced 250R's for probably 10 years. He's got a barn full of R stuff.
JJ found a set of cases on e-bay for me. I bought them this morning. They are perfect the transmission cases were screwed kind of. Paid 39.00 for them! I could use a ignition and flywheel as this one did not have that included in the box of parts I received. If you want to ask him that would be awesome!

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
JJ found a set of cases on e-bay for me. I bought them this morning. They are perfect the transmission cases were screwed kind of. Paid 39.00 for them! I could use a ignition and flywheel as this one did not have that included in the box of parts I received. If you want to ask him that would be awesome!
Cool beans. JJ usually has a way of coming thru for a guy. :)

I talked with Mitch, he said he has a flywheel, but he thinks most of his stators are junk. I'll know more tomorrow.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Good deal. After making some calls, seems that they are well sought after parts!

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
:yougo:

Awsome Frank I cant wait to see this progress.....
You sure you can handel such a task ?:rolleyes::yougo:
Well I'm getting closer to being self sufficient as far as tools go. The phase converter for the mill showed up today so I have to get that wired and I'm good to go. I should be able to make all the parts necessary except little things like sprockets and such.

As far as handling the task, we'll see it should be fun:D

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Hey frank you get that thing all prettied up and make it RUN... I just got off the phone with a guy that can run it :yup::beer:
Might have to do that, I know I don't care to use it. Big heavy, awkward ####ing things! LOL I have friend in Indy that is in the Carbon Fiber business. If it isn't too costly I may have him make some parts to save the weight. I'll have to talk to him about it and see. I'll just have to make the originals for him to copy to carbon fiber.

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Hey Frank made any head way yet ?
Nope, I was in Indy all weekend and just got home this afternoon. It will be next weekend before I make it back out to the barn. I have a busy week ahead unfortunately. I'll have to get a few parts before I can do much more so I can mock up a handle system.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
My 250cc bikesaw fueled up, ready to run is 63 pounds.
There's about 3-5 pounds I'd like to shave off, I'd love to have it down around 55 pounds.

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
I think weight or lack of will be key.

I don't think I've posted these pictures because they were still on the camera. But the new cases I got I cut the trans off of and cleaned up. So there Eric! Progress :banana:

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
I decided to #### with the saw today because I didn't have any material to do the other stuff I needed to get done:angry:

I put the digital read out to good use today tracking the coordinates off the bolt pattern of the right hand crank case. I'm really going to enjoy that mill! I put them all on paper and I'll transfer all the data to auto cad so I can model it in 3D and create to scale patterns without wasting to much time and materials. More to come on that.

Without a good starting point on how to make the patterns I decided I needed something to compare to. I know in the past looking at some of the bikes saws out there they just look awkward to run and hard to handle. I decided my goal is to make it feel like a 120cc saw as far as ergonomics go. I want the handles to be in per portion to that of a 3120/880. I set my 880 up to the 250 block to see if it could be done.

Looks like I've got a start point now!

WIth the height gage I can map the holes of centers on my map and set the angle of the case in autocad so I can get a accurate idea of what it may look like. I set 2 points to measure from using the table top as my "bench mark" no pun inteneded!

You can see the right triangle I drew so once I get the holes drawn in Acad I can figure out what that angle is going to be for now. It is a starting point at least.

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Hoffco to the rescue!
I have this old Hoffco sitting around and it looks like the design could be utilized for a bike saw. I made some patterns based off the that but it will be a work in progress...add here, trim here...blah, blah blah! I'm making all the templates out of 1/4" wood. Once I have them finalized I'll get some aluminum or might see what it would take to have it made out of carbon fiber.

Spare parts that I picked up from E-bay for the Hoffco.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Wanted McCulloch Super 797 Chainsaw Wanted 20
sarahdodgegeek 6th Annual Chainsaw Races At Chisago County Fairgrounds In Rush City, Mn 7/21/18 GTG'z & Eventz 10
thomas1 An Actual Chainsaw Question.... Chainsawz 131
czed Chainsaw Repair Tips Chainsawz 48
trx250r180 What Chainsaw Oil Is The Best ? Mix And Bar Oil Chainsawz 148
dboyd351 120v Battery Powered Chainsaw Chainsawz 25
andydodgegeek July 22!!! 5th Annual Chisago County Fair Chainsaw Races GTG'z & Eventz 63
J Pop Science Chainsaw tear down Chainsawz 23
stihl sawing What makes a chainsaw gay? Chainsawz 289
neil Free Anouncement. I got banned for a day on Chainsaw Repair. Chainsawz 29
dboyd351 Mystery Cub Cadet 55 cc??? chainsaw from Tractor Supply Chainsawz 14
RandyMac The McCulloch Chainsaw Thread, continued. Chainsawz 703
jacob j. The new WTF and gender neutral chainsaw GFY thread The Razorback Lounge 41965
fossil Sabre chainsaw bars Chainsawz 36
Homelite410 Custom chainsaw bar Chainsawz 5
pastryguyhawaii Chainsaw tool ID help Chainsawz 11
thomas1 Finest Stihl chainsaw ever made. For Sale 86
Mastermind Skil 1616 Chainsaw Chainsawz 24
N If you like to ice skate but want some excitement...use your chainsaw !! Hawgz Back 40 11
N What is considered by most to be the holy grail(s) of each major chainsaw maker ? Chainsawz 64
tree monkey chainsaw? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 21
J Chainsaw locking up help! Chainsawz 25
Warped5 Chainsaw 'chop shop' .... Chainsawz 51
P Deal On Husqvarna Chaps and Chainsaw Protective Boots Chainsawz 7
BloodOnTheIce $750 Chainsaw Bar Chainsawz 29
Black Dog Chainsaw chainsaw wiring... Help with parts! Chainsawz 5
countryhog happy Chanukah/merry Christmas/chainsaw Chainsawz 2
Freehand The Chainsaw Bench Redux Chainsawz 18
stihl sawing Gun or Chainsaw Hawgz Back 40 117
N possibly chainsaw related For Sale 0
Z7extreme Chainsaw dyno upgrade. Need your help.Anybody have any experience with these? Chainsawz 6
M Bar for 4-30 McCulloch chainsaw, 42" length Wanted 0
Poncho Pics/video of Caledonia chainsaw races 8/17/2014 Chainsawz 2
TK Chainsaw Raffle! Help a good man in need! Chainsawz 26
andydodgegeek CHAINSAW RACE'S Rush City, MN this Saturday!!!! GTG'z & Eventz 6
P Hackensack Chainsaw Event - MN GTG'z & Eventz 0
hseII New Chainsaw attachment Coming Soon to Dealers Near Tou Hawgz Back 40 8
dieselfitter You will never will an argument with some holding a chainsaw Chainsawz 7
M Wanted McCulloch 4-30 Chainsaw Wanted 26
trx250r180 McCulloch chainsaw For Sale 19
Smittybilt Did Honda ever make a Chainsaw??? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 32
Wigglesworth Other chainsaw forums.... Chainsawz 10
J Chainsaw in the neck !!ouch Chainsawz 12
H ENTER TO WIN MS250 CHAINSAW! For Sale 6
leeha Lombard chainsaw Chainsawz 53
W New Old Stock Chainsaw Distributor Vintage Chainsawz 1
naked arborist chainsaw video listing sections? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 14
Mr Bow Saw Vintage Chainsaw Thread Chainsawz 24
rocketnorton chainsaw carpentry Chainsawz 5
BloodOnTheIce Box O' Husky 350 Chainsaw For Sale 5