Unlimited Class Pinewood Derby car

Jan 9, 2012
My son's cub pack is having there Pinewood Derby this Friday. There is an Unlimited class for non-scouts (parents, siblings, etc.) Here is my unlimited car I have been working on for a couple of weeks. Somewhere in my computer I have more pictures of the build.
Jim

<script src='http://img860.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=carbb.png&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Reactions: 3 people

GetToTheChoppa

Jan 10, 2012
Rochester, NY
My son is in cub scouts, and his Pinewood derby is this Saturday. I completely forgot about it until our pack meeting last week, and still need to start on the car with him. oops! Did i mention I am a terrible woodworker too and i will be probably doing all of this with a dremel? :D

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Jan 10, 2012
Ulser County N.Y.
make sure you weight the car at the max allowable and try to keep the front to rear 60/40 %,polish the axles/nails with 600 paper and dont spare the graphite lube , good luck jk

Spike60

Jan 12, 2012
I still got my pinewood derby blue ribbon from when I was a kid. Drilled out the front and filled the thing with BB's. :smoking: ZOOM! :banana::banana:

Jan 9, 2012

drew the shape on the block and started carving with the 1/4" chisel

You can see the different pieces of wood glued together in this pic

The mirror and instrument panel taking shape made from wood dowel then glued on

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Jan 10, 2012
Ulser County N.Y.
nice work jim ...how much weight did the fender laminations add ,back in the day...we always tried to get them to the max allowed ,or you didnt have a chance of winnin

Jan 9, 2012
At this point, It's about an oz. over weight and there's still no wheels or axles. The limit is 5 oz. I will be taking it to a buddies to use his mill and cut a big pocket in the bottom. I would like to get it as light as possibable then add weight to the rear to bring it up to 5oz.
j

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Jan 10, 2012
Ulser County N.Y.
we used to go to the local hobby shop and buy the polished nails/pins to use as axles ,def better than the ones supplied in the BSA kit that have little ridges on the shanks and under the heads :woowoo:

Jan 9, 2012
we used to go to the local hobby shop and buy the polished nails/pins to use as axles ,def better than the ones supplied in the BSA kit that have little ridges on the shanks and under the heads :woowoo:
All I've done is file off the flashing, and polish then lube them with graphite.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rb440 088 unlimited coil Wanted 3
shorthunter Saw Racing, Class Designations Question Chainsawz 8