Walbro HD Carb

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
Now you know why I keep a supply of Zamas on hand and I don't drink the "bash Zama" kool-aid.
Lol. I got a pile of bad Zama's too. :p

On the HD's, this is the third one in a row that the pop off pressure was too high, and the needle still isn't seating. I ain't done with it yet though....

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa

On the HD's, this is the third one in a row that the pop off pressure was too high, and the needle still isn't seating. I ain't done with it yet though....
Find some small Q-tips, apply metal polish to the tip and rotate it against the seat. If you can't find a Q-tip that fits, I've used the old needle before with some success.

The zama carbs do run more consistently but for my own saws, I spend the time on the walbro. Customers get new zama.

Reactions: 1 person

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012

I've found the failure rate with the HD's much higher than any other "modern" carb I've messed with. WJs are a close second. HDAs are up there too.
I've got a couple Zamas in the junk pile but about 18 HDs accumulated from the same number of machines in the same time period. Even trips through
the ultrasonic cleaner did no good. The SDC series is wonderful though with many putting in thousands of hours of service.

Find some small Q-tips, apply metal polish to the tip and rotate it against the seat. If you can't find a Q-tip that fits, I've used the old needle before with some success.

The zama carbs do run more consistently but for my own saws, I spend the time on the walbro. Customers get new zama.
Yeah, I've seen the seat wear down so far that the metering lever would actually strike the body of the carb. I fixed one by shortening the lever slightly- that only lasted about 6 weeks and then
it was time for a new Zama and I had told the customer that. I didn't charge him any labor though to swap the Zama in.

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky

Dun did already. I went as far on the last 046 carb to install a new seat in it, wit no luck.

I WILL FIX THIS CARB, IF ITS THE LAST THING I DO!!!!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Given your history we all probably shouldn't hold our breath and sit in front of the computer for an update...... :evilgrin:

Is this a stock carb or one that's been modded? What saw does it go on?

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
Given your history we all probably shouldn't hold our breath and sit in front of the computer for an update...... :evilgrin:

Is this a stock carb or one that's been modded? What saw does it go on?
Stock Walbro HD 34 off on a ms361.

And no, don't hold ur breath. Haha

Reactions: 2 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Stock Walbro HD 34 off on a ms361.

And no, don't hold ur breath. Haha
It's a creamy carb :jesterlaugh: Pop a new on on that bad boy and be done with it. I've got caught up myself in a few things that "I'm just going to fix, I've got to fix this!" and it turns out a money and time pit.

Latest case Jred 670. I'm gonna drop a list of parts in that thread soon, people be thinking I'm nuts LOL

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
Pop-off is at 20psi, and seats and holds at 10psi now. Still wants to flood at idle, and is too lean up top.

And yes, saw vac/pressure tested good. Stoopid HD's...

motomedik

Feb 26, 2012
Most carbs I understand pretty fully. Diaphragm carbs, not so much, but for the most part a kit and a cleaning, is all you gotta do. But lately I have got a few that are annoyingly setting in the corner, ran out of time to mess with them after not being successful the first few times. One is a friend's 460 that is rich as heck down low and lean on top. The other is a 272 of my own that goes lean after you run it a while. Messed with the tank vent, new line, filter, new bearings and seals, etc. Pretty much knew both have carb issues, but wasn't sure how to fix them. So I think I'll have to fool with the inlet needles and seats.
Would anyone be willing to explain the proper procedure for checking "popoff" to me? I don't think I'm doing it right, or not sure what I need to be checking or even how to properly perform the test. Thanks guys, it would help me alot.

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
One is a friend's 460 that is rich as heck down low and lean on top........

Would anyone be willing to explain the proper procedure for checking "popoff" to me? I don't think I'm doing it right, or not sure what I need to be checking or even how to properly perform the test. Thanks guys, it would help me alot.
Exact same thing this carb is doing. I messed with it for a little while this morning, but still, no dice. :(

Here is a good video of testing pop-off. I do it a bit different, with the metering cover off and the carb submerged in WD40. Its just easier to see the bubbles.

[video=youtube;OaFvtlGzCB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFvtlGzCB8[/video]

Reactions: 2 people

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
you unbroked these carbs yet? :wave:
Nope. I did find out that the HD-34 has an accelerator pump in it. This one was stuck, but freeing it up didn't help anything.

I swapped all the shafts with a HD5 out of an 029. Ran pretty good then. Still loading up a bit at idle, but it was runnable. I'm not real happy with swapping the shafts though, as it wasn't exactly a direct swap. Gonna have to mess with it a bit more before I'm happy.

Until then....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
exSW I need a Walbro WJ carb guru Chainsawz 60
O New Walbro Carb for Stihl MS660 Magnum For Sale 1
countryhog Walbro HDC Carb Chainsawz 2
trx250r180 Walbro Carb issues Chainsawz 5
W What to do with an old Open port 365 with a Walbro carb, came with a Zama Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 14
BloodOnTheIce New Stihl 064 066 Walbro WJ6 Carb For Sale 2
cat-face timber Walbro WA226 Carburetor L side Wanted 14
BloodOnTheIce Tillotson Zama Walbro Stihl manuals For Sale 2
T WTB: WALBRO HDA 77B For Sale 1
countryhog Walbro HDC-1 Chainsawz 6
countryhog Walbro SDC 12 Chainsawz 7
Bigfun27 NOS Walbro WT-16B Wanted 5
Chity_Avatar Walbro HD16-A or HD17 needed Wanted 2
W What dies on those Walbro HD's? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 50
cowroy treemonkey'd Walbro 199 For Sale 2
RedBeerKitty Walbro RWJ-4 Adjusting tool Chainsawz 10
RedBeerKitty WTB Walbro HDA-87 Wanted 4