Warm weather cutting

TROY

Jan 10, 2013
Curious as to what you guy's "rules" are for warm weather cutting. How warm is too warm? Why I ask is my buddy burned up his Husky Rancher this summer cutting wood in July. I told him what I was always told and that's you don't run chainsaws in July, atleast not hard anyway. His theory was weedwackers work in the summer so a chainsaw should be fine also. What's your input on the subject?

cowroy

Jan 20, 2013
Knoxville
Last time I checked logging companies, and tree trimming companies don't quit for hot weather, so I would say the saw failure had little to do with the temperature.

Reactions: 2 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I've done some cutting at 0-100° F with no failures for temperature.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
If he burned up his saw, it was either tuned lean, the fuel was lean, or a combination of both.

I don't cut in the heat of July not because my saw will burn up, but because I cry like a little girl when it's hot out.

Reactions: 4 people

TROY

Jan 10, 2013
So is it safe to really work the saw for a couple hours straight? Anytime I've had to cut when it's hot I try to run for a bit then give it a break to cool down, then cut some more. Am I being over cautious?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I haven't had any problems cutting in the heat, and I usually cut year round if thats a possibility. Granted I don't make 8 hour runs at it, but I do go pretty hard at it for a few hours at a time. Never a problem here, saws run great.

I wouldn't think the running temperature of the saw would change much. Warm up time for proper cylinder/piston/ring expansion is important whether it's cold or hot out. The saw runs at temperatures much much higher than the ambient temperature. I would attribute conditions of the saw to the failure more than the temperature outside.

Reactions: 1 person

TROY

Jan 10, 2013
Well I guess my fathers wisdom failed me on this one. :( Plus side is it just added more time to my cutting season.:burnout:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Yeah the outside temperature doesn't really affect operating temperature enough to cause a catastrophic failure.

Whether it's 90º or 9º, there's still combustion occurring inside of the cylinder. A match doesn't burn hotter in a warmer climate than it does in a cold one, same principal with internally combusting fuel. What keeps a saw motor cool is having a good quality and proper ratio of oil in yer fuel, and making the saw drink enough of it. Air, ethanol, not enough oil in your gas, and an H screw turned too far clockwise are some of your biggest enemies. :yup:

TROY

Jan 10, 2013
So is it good pratice to richen up the premix a little in the warmer weather? Or is the recommended 50:1 good enough?
I always run atleast midgrade gas, stihl premix oil, ethanol treatment and stabill in cans, and keep filter and saw clean. Now that I have purchased a "proper" saw, I'd like to keep it tip-top as long as possible. Thanks for helping out a newb.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I run 32-40:1 all the time. Just make sure the tuning is good with the H screw and the rpms aren't too high and you'll be fine.

rburg

May 1, 2012
TN
If you are cutting in 100 degree temps, you will probably take enough breaks that the saw will have some break time to.

Reactions: 4 people

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
Curious as to what you guy's "rules" are for warm weather cutting. How warm is too warm? Why I ask is my buddy burned up his Husky Rancher this summer cutting wood in July. I told him what I was always told and that's you don't run chainsaws in July, atleast not hard anyway. His theory was weedwackers work in the summer so a chainsaw should be fine also. What's your input on the subject?
Cutting in hot temps won't kill a saw but.....

You combine a little stale gas, a dull chain, maybe some plugged off cooling
and add that to hot temps. Then you're taking away all of you safety buffer.

So while not 100% accurate, worry more about fresh gas, good oil, sharp chain
and a clean filter, but add on hot temps and you'll kill a saw quick.

Also dramatic temp changes and humidity will add cause condensation
and ethanol will suck in water much quicker in humid months.

Last edited: