Quantcast

What is an engine worth

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what a engine with 58,000 miles on it is worth. Serious ansers please because i found one that he is trying to sell but i think he might be wanting to much for it.

mweba

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what a engine with 58,000 miles on it is worth. Serious ansers please because i found one that he is trying to sell but i think he might be wanting to much for it.

That's a lot of miles for a chainsaw :smoking:

Cut4fun

Reaction score
Depend on the motor and what comes with it. I would guess for a S10 $500 - $600 would be fair for a bolt in long block.

Bro just bought a long block 89 350 for $200 with some extras, so it depends. He is thinking of dropping it in a jeep whenever the 6 dies.

mweba

Reaction score
Depend on the motor and what comes with it. I would guess for a S10 $500 - $600 would be fair for a bolt in long block.

Bro just bought a long block 89 350 for $200 with some extras, so it depends. He is thinking of dropping it in a jeep whenever the 6 dies.

+1

Long blocks are pretty consistent...500-750 in my area. Complete depends on the yard.

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
That's a lot of miles for a chainsaw :smoking:

Heck yeah that is. That saw there has been around the world a few times. But i was talking about a 2.5 4 Cylinder for a S10 LOL

well he said he would take a 1000 bucks for the whole truck but it has been totaled out by the insurance company. So i was thinking about offering about 150.00 to 200.00 for it. Then use some of my parts on it if has a different intake and stuff.

So thats why i'm asking on here because i really don't kno0w and everyone around here wants over 500.00 for a engine with over 150,000 miles on it. So i really don't know what to offer him.

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
+1

Long blocks are pretty consistent...500-750 in my area. Complete depends on the yard.

Same here pull a part wants 250 for a 4 cylinder engine and that with out a guarantee it will run or not. Plus you don't know what was wrong with it when it came to the yard either.

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
The 2.5 is junk -- slap a 4.3 in it.

That what i say too but i like the gas saving it does then my other 6 cylinder trucks. i run a whole week on a tank of gas and with my ford ranger i have to fill it up twice a week.

But i'm going tomorrow and see if what it looks like and see how i can get it for.

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
I would guess no more than $200-$300 honestly.......

I paid 350 plus tax about 2 months ago for a 2.5 engine from pull a part that the block was busted under all the crud on it.

The crack i found was about 6 inches long right under the freeze plugs. I tried taking it back to pull a part and they said i done it when i cleaned it up. But a long story short i lost the battle and i ended up having it welded and its in my truck now.

But i have to watch the water level on it because it still leaks a little every now and then. i tried that seal all stuff and it seemed to work but like it says it would.

So that's why I'm looking at this engine i found on craigslist.

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Reaction score
That what i say too but i like the gas saving it does then my other 6 cylinder trucks. i run a whole week on a tank of gas and with my ford ranger i have to fill it up twice a week.

But i'm going tomorrow and see if what it looks like and see how i can get it for.

I thought you said you barely leave the house, why are you filling up twice a week?

Denis Gionet

Reaction score
For comparison sake, 15 years ago I bought a 300 straight six Ford engine complete that was rebuilt by a local garage. It was perfect, for $900. Complete, Rebuilt. I put my flywheel & starter in it, everything else was there. If I was looking for something that I didn't know its history I wouldn't give more than about $3-400 for the complete engine, especially on a 4-banger. Maybe more for an 8, but no more than about 5-600.

Any more than that I'd go short or long block rebuilt and get warranty and peace of mind.