What's on the grillz

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
48 degrees in Iowa today. Have three butterflied deer loins on the open fire! Doesn't get much better.

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
About 72 degrees here today in Asheville. Having some good ole BBQ,French Fries,Cole Slaw and of course Hush puppies.....

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
ha! Thats funny Mitch. Prolly the only thing i've overacheived is over-eating LOL. Nice thread BTW.....:banana:

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Ha ya I'm a healthy eater myself....just a fast metabolism. Hate to see what my arteries look like! What bbq sauce are you hooked on. Sweet baby rays is my flavor of the month but for the deer, its just a little garlic salt and no condiments.

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
Ah, your doin great then man! Mine is Cattlemans for forseeable future. I also like their Mississippi Honey as well.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
For years we cooked with charcoal. Then I got lazy and went gas but since that rusted through, its been all open fire. I prefer the flavor and smell. Always fun to hang with the kids at the pit also.
What's your preferred method?

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
For my preferred mehtod I find it hard to beat Kingsford charcoal, however open fire with sweet apple wood is nippin Kingsford's heels at the moment.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
For years we cooked with charcoal. Then I got lazy and went gas but since that rusted through, its been all open fire. I prefer the flavor and smell. Always fun to hang with the kids at the pit also.
What's your preferred method?
Weber grills all the way for sure. Don't mind charcoal but for the amount of grilling I do I prefer gas. It much easier to regulate temperature to use the grill for other cooking needs. Another favorite is a concoction of bacon, onions, and potatoes wrapped in tinfoil and cooked for a little over an hour on the grill, rotating many times. I've cooked pizza, vegetables, even a cake on the grill. I recommend a thorough cleaning of the grill before cake or other baking foods to prevent taste tainting. A good rub I've used lately actually came from cabelas, beer and garlic. Nice taste added to a steak or burger.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
This is a thread I can get behind.

I'm a pretty die hard charcoal grill guy.

Cooking hamburgers and hotdogs I'll use propane

But steaks or anything else I'll use charcoal.

I prefer lump charcoal over, or briquettes.

Weather depending I'll cook on the grill at least 10 months of the year.

Reactions: 1 person

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
If I ever buy another grill it will be charcoal. I do miss cooking beer can chicken. We use ti do one a month when cooking with gas. TK foiled potatoes are a religion in our house. Bacon sounds like a great idea. Full stick of real butter, one whole yellow onion, pile of potatoes and garlic powder is the way we roll.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Not really much into the charcoal or propane.

Pretty much a fire pit cooker. Cook everything outside over a bonfire. Do quite a bit of dutch oven cooking and grilling. The outdoor cooking I think is overall my favorite hobby. Chainsaws, dropping trees, cutting firewood, and milling are prolly number two on that list. Absolutely love the outdoor bonfire cooking. I've got quite a bit of money invested in cast iron cookware. My expertise doesn't really fall in the chainsaw building / mechanical aspect all that well but I sport the fireside cooking techniques like a pro. It's a hell of a lot of fun and I can't get enough of it. It's the only way to cook/grill as far as I'm concerned.

But if I'm ever where there's use of a conventional grill I'm most certainly in favor of charcoal. :thumbsup:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Ya I lay out a layer of bacon. Diced onions, I like red, others like something a little more mild like Vidalia. The more the better IMO. then potatoes. Red are softer and absorb more flavor, as well as cook faster - important so you don't burn the bacon. Then a layer of onions again, then bacon. No butter or olive oil needed, plenty of lubricant in the bacon and onions lol. I cook on low to medium heat for an hour to an hour and a half. Mmmmmmm bacon :)

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Ya I lay out a layer of bacon. Diced onions, I like red, others like something a little more mild like Vidalia. The more the better IMO. then potatoes. Red are softer and absorb more flavor, as well as cook faster - important so you don't burn the bacon. Then a layer of onions again, then bacon. No butter or olive oil needed, plenty of lubricant in the bacon and onions lol. I cook on low to medium heat for an hour to an hour and a half. Mmmmmmm bacon :)
Lolol. Do you watch epic meal time on you tube!

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Im with you chuckr, I like the open fire as well. Started learning the dutch oven last year. Made my daughters three year birthday cake in it. Turned out amazing.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Im with you chuckr, I like the open fire as well. Started learning the dutch oven last year. Made my daughters three year birthday cake in it. Turned out amazing.

Dude it's so much fun. And it's SO awesomely rewarding when whatever it is you're cooking come out that way you want it to. I'm like a little kid when it comes to outdoor cooking. I get excited as hell when it comes to the saws but I'm way more into the dutch ovens and firepit cooking. I do all different kind of fire and firepit setups depending on what I'm cooking.....

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
This is going to sound super manly but......could you recommend a book? There use to be a dutch oven cooking show on public tv locally but I didn't pay enough attention to it. Wasn't interested at the time but its no longed on.

We just dug a three inch deep hole and filled it with coals. Covered the lid with coals and made our best guess with cook time. Most times the outcome was satisfactory.