What's the deal...

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Why are there smilies that are called "retarded" and "retarded2"?

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I am as non PC as you will find but having a smilie with that name is quite distasteful. Unless you are talking about delayed reactions, slow processing, or hindering advancement, retarded is not the word you are looking for.

Last edited:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I found'em and uploaded'em along with the rest of the smilies - I kept all the smiley names and just uploaded them.

I apologize you find their names to be distasteful, but I won't be changing them. Changing the names of those two smilies will replace them with ":retarded:" and ":retarded2:" - you'll actually see that text and no smiley at all in posts members have made in the past.

Reactions: 4 people

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
This reminds me of an ongoing local debate- The United Way here doesn't want people using the term "handicapped." They want special needs people to be called "disabled." They're also discouraging the moniker "special needs."

Really? I honestly don't understand how "handicapped" or "special needs" is anymore offensive than "disabled."

PB

Nov 5, 2012
That's going a little too far with the PC.

I really dislike the word retard that is used in a derogatory manner. I have relatives that are disabled and friends with mentally retarded children. Just because they were born with a genetic condition doesn't mean they should be ridiculed and laughed at their entire lives because they have, or are perceived to have, decreased mental capacity. They are no less of a human being than anyone else and deserve to be treated with dignity. I know it is just a stupid smilie on a chainsaw forum but if you wouldn't have "retard" in the text than why would you hit the smilie with that same name? I pray to God that our new daughter grows up happy and healthy but if she doesn't, I will kick the ✖✖✖✖ out of anyone that calls her a retard.

Reactions: 2 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I don't think of people as retarded. I don't use the word retarded in a derogatory sense. And I don't use the term mentally retarded.

Everyone's personal use and intentions behind any word will be different. And yes, if anyone refers to another person as a retard, I would gladly join in on the beatings.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
That's going a little too far with the PC.

I really dislike the word retard that is used in a derogatory manner. I have relatives that are disabled and friends with mentally retarded children. Just because they were born with a genetic condition doesn't mean they should be ridiculed and laughed at their entire lives because they have, or are perceived to have, decreased mental capacity. They are no less of a human being than anyone else and deserve to be treated with dignity. I know it is just a stupid smilie on a chainsaw forum but if you wouldn't have "retard" in the text than why would you hit the smilie with that same name? I pray to God that our new daughter grows up happy and healthy but if she doesn't, I will kick the ✖✖✖✖ out of anyone that calls her a retard.
I know where you are coming from. Over the last couple years on several occasions my daughter's patients has run dry. Her ability to cope with the stresses of the public have failed even with my best efforts exhausted. I too have wanted to punch the A hole in line behind me making the comment "That little one needs a good whooping to set her straight". Learned to control myself and not judge others for their ignorance and just hand them an Autism Card. Maybe it will make them think twice before opening their mouth next time......That being said, Man, you gotta pick your battles. No victim, no crime. Although Tom may be a bit challenged, no one with a disability was attacked here.

This after all is a spit roast :derplol::laughing:

Edit: by no means saying a member here is ignorant......well maybe some of you :rofl:

Reactions: 6 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
There are definitely words that people use that I don't personally care for, but I also realize that I may not understand how they are meaning to use them.

I will most definitely say "Wow that's just retarded" - but I will never say "Wow what a retard"

That may be clear as mud but hopefully it makes sense.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I know where you are coming from. Over the last couple years on several occasions my daughter's patients has run dry. Her ability to cope with the stresses of the public have failed even with my best efforts exhausted. I too have wanted to punch the A hole in line behind me making the comment "That little one needs a good whooping to set her straight". Learned to control myself and not judge others for their ignorance and just hand them an Autism Card. Maybe it will make them think twice before opening their mouth next time......That being said, Man, you gotta pick your battles. No victim, no crime. Although Tom may be a bit challenged, no one with a disability was attacked here.

This after all is a spit roast :derplol::laughing:

Edit: by no means saying a member here is ignorant......well maybe some of you :rofl:
I never said, or meant to imply, that Tom was challenged. I thought that was a given. Heck for all I know, he is from the County. Just voicing my concern and doing my part to make "retard" the R-word. I was very surprised to see the "retarded" smilie and even more surprised that there were two. Carry on. :cheers:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I never said, or meant to imply, that Tom was challenged. I thought that was a given. Heck for all I know, he is from the County. Just voicing my concern and doing my part to make "retard" the R-word. I was very surprised to see the "retarded" smilie and even more surprised that there were two. Carry on. :cheers:
Quit pickin on me or I'ma go tell yer mommy!

Reactions: 1 person

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
The word that bothers me as much or more as the R word is the G word. I hear it soooooo many times a day at work that the kids saying it don't even think twice when you bring it to their attention as being offensive. As in, "This thread is gay."

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
So, implying that people from the state of Kentucky are somehow inferior is okay, but saying having a smiley labeled retarded is not?
He could have said Virginia...

The word that bothers me as much or more as the R word is the G word. I hear it soooooo many times a day at work that the kids saying it don't even think twice when you bring it to their attention as being offensive. As in, "This thread is gay."
My grandma would get mad, because in her day, gay meant happiness or contentedness. Then in the 50's people started using it to mock homosexuals. When I asked her how people would mock homosexuals before that, she said: "Proper people didn't speak of such things like homosexuality, drug use, and promiscuity..."

Reactions: 5 people

PB

Nov 5, 2012
So, implying that people from the state of Kentucky are somehow inferior is okay, but saying having a smiley labeled retarded is not?
I am from Pennsylvania, the backwoods parts that are separated by mountains, you know like in Kentucky? Hence Pennsyltucky. How do you draw inferior from that? Sorry, but the moment you started posting pictures of other peoples houses and judged them based on a photo, I lost all sorts of respect for you. I don't pass judgement until I meet someone and get to know them. Unless they are from Michigan, then they can all go to hell. :)

I really hate that the like and edit button are so close together.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
He could have said Virginia...

My grandma would get mad, because in her day, gay meant happiness or contentedness. Then in the 50's people started using it to mock homosexuals. When I asked her how people would mock homosexuals before that, she said: "Proper people didn't speak of such things like homosexuality, drug use, and promiscuity..."
He could have and I wouldn't have been offended. :D

Mrs. J

May 20, 2012
I worked as a case manager for children and adults with mental illnesses. I had to try really hard not to use the word retarded. I think the majority of the time it is used without a lot of thought about what it really means. Most (ok some) would not ever intentionally offend a specific population. I had and still do have a habit of saying it. But I would rather not. We also have a habit of calling things ghey. To call someone retarded is to say they have a lower than normal IQ. The word actually does fit quite a few in the chainsaw community. Just sayin ;) some of these people I have not met but its amazing what you learn through the Internet. I called someone (who shall remain nameless) an instigative prick the other day. Jer just laughed I've never met this person. :) but you gotta wonder how old people are when their conversations make them sound 14.

I'm just a little confused as to why retarded, gay and Kentucky are discussed in the same thread. Like they have something in common??? :)