What's your favorite saw in your fleet

Ironworker

Aug 8, 2013
Most of us have more than a few saws and some are some pretty nice screamers, but which one is your favorite and why, I know for me I have a nasty little ported 550 that rips through wood like an angry termite and I also have a ported 372 that is an absolute beast. On top of those two I've got 3 Stihls, a muffler modded 038 mag, an 036, and last but not least a muffler modded 026 with a 16" bar, which is my favorite for the simple reason of what I paid for it and how surprisingly powerful it is for something so small.

I've got around 45-50 saws from about 1.9 cubic inchs up to 123 cc's .I suppose my favorite is the "Phoenix" 038 Magnum .So named because like the legion it arose from the ashes .

It came to me in an abused state which I nursed back to health and after going back in 4 times to preform minor surgery it runs like the wind .

Reactions: 2 people

MarkEagleUSA

Oct 4, 2013
Connecticut
My stock 562XP is now my go to saw. Out of the box that thing impressed me like no other saw I've used. But after running that ported 562 at Spike's GTG yesterday I definitely need to get mine done!

I wanted to try your 550 but decided not to or I'd be looking to have both saws done...

Reactions: 3 people

MechanicMatt

Jan 27, 2013
My 362xp turned 372xp. I use that saw to heat my house more than any other saw. Saw saves me money and keeps my family warm. I bought it for myself for my birthday a few years back and have proceeded to beat the snot out of it ever since.

As for your guys saws, Ive run Iron's ported 550xp...............wow! Ive run Bobs ported 562xp...........WOW!! A stock 562xp is nice, but a ported one :rock:

Reactions: 1 person

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Jan 13, 2012
Uranus...
That's a damn tough question....

It's probably my McCulloch SP81. Maybe my McCulloch Super 250 instead. Hard to narrow it down to one 'favorite'. For me, it rotates. My Poulan 4900 and Homelite SXL-925W are up there too. The 4.7-5.3ci class is my favorite...

Reactions: 5 people

srcarr52

Feb 11, 2013
IOWA
The 288 in my avatar. Lately my go to saw has been my Husky 359 with the Hyway cylinder, it's a little beast.

homelitejim

Sep 26, 2013
MS 441 never leave home without it. My SP 81 will spank most of my firewood saws when the wood is thicker than the bar, plus it sounds cool. I am taking a liking to a newly aquired jonny 2077 a bit heavier than my 460 with a bit more torque, also sounds cool. Anything over 6 cubs.

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Aug 5, 2013
West Sunbury Pa.
My 044 is the one that would bug me the most to be with out . I've got 6 other saws, soon to be 7, but the 044 was my first really high quality saw after retiring from the AF . Before that they were generally craftsman's , the cheaper the better !

workshop

Sep 29, 2013
Hands down, the winner in my small fleet is my MS 260 Pro ported by TLandrum of "Wicked Work Saws" in TN...
I have personally run hinermans 260 pro and I have to say that thing is really, REALLY sweet. I've never run a ported saw before. Now I've got to figure a way to get my 260 ported

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I guess right now my favorite is the 288. A month or so ago it was a 372xpw. Next month it may be a ported dolmar 9010. :jawdrop:

Reactions: 11 people

Nixon

Renfrew > Boyers
Aug 5, 2013
West Sunbury Pa.
I have personally run hinermans 260 pro and I have to say that thing is really, REALLY sweet. I've never run a ported saw before. Now I've got to figure a way to get my 260 ported
Easy peasy ! Put it in a box and send it off to the person of your choice .
it gets way more complicated after you get it back . You'll likely have an irresistible urge to do it again ,and again .
I'm working on getting #6 done . Then there's the 550 and 562XPs ,and then................................................:help:

bryanr2

Jan 16, 2012
Not even a debate for me. It is unequivocally my Mastermind 288 lite. The only saw I own that I won't sell, I won't loan, hell I won't let anyone even hold it. Love everything about that saw- looks, aesthetics, sound , performance, feel, etc. I can't remember much of the conversation but I asked Randy about a bigger Husq that I was interested in. He casually threw a "hook" out there baited with a mint 288 lite. I ran it on a visit to pick up another saw and I left with it in my truck. It was the first Husq I had ever had in my hand (Was a diehard Stihl-head). It was a real eye opener. I switched brands. I could sell off all my saws I think (not that I would... but I could) except for that saw. Appreciate the person I got it from, appreciate the revelation that is Husqvarna, and I appreciate the model itself. Would love to find a NOS one to put up.

Reactions: 8 people

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Jan 13, 2012
Uranus...
Not even a debate for me. It is unequivocally my Mastermind 288 lite. The only saw I own that I won't sell, I won't loan, hell I won't let anyone even hold it. Love everything about that saw- looks, aesthetics, sound , performance, feel, etc. I can't remember much of the conversation but I asked Randy about a bigger Husq that I was interested in. He casually threw a "hook" out there baited with a mint 288 lite. I ran it on a visit to pick up another saw and I left with it in my truck. It was the first Husq I had ever had in my hand (Was a diehard Stihl-head). It was a real eye opener. I switched brands. I could sell off all my saws I think (not that I would... but I could) except for that saw. Appreciate the person I got it from, appreciate the revelation that is Husqvarna, and I appreciate the model itself. Would love to find a NOS one to put up.
You need to look into getting a current production Brazilian 288XP here to the states. Work out the details and let us know. They still produce the 288XP and 272XP there.:D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C what saw put your last favorite saw in second place? Chainsawz 47
L favorite and first saw Chainsawz 50
Sprintcar Send our Favorite Midget to Pool Camp The Razorback Lounge 14
Whitedogone Who's your favorite Aftermarket parts supplier? Chainsawz 145
winland Your favorite Christmas meal? The Razorback Lounge 26
WoodChuck'r Favorite superbowl commercials. The Razorback Lounge 30
Mrs. J Happy 31st bday to my favorite man!!! The Razorback Lounge 27
mweba Favorite movie lines GeekHawgz! 21
cat-face timber Loaner saw Chainsawz 21
cat-face timber Husky 350 Project Saw Wanted 11
trx250r180 Three Saw Plan Chainsawz 78
maulhead Blue Makita Crankcase, For A 6400 - 7900 Type Saw Wanted 0
cat-face timber Tuning A Saw Chainsawz 10
Mike from Maine :update: On The Only Jms Saw Known To Be Still Running Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 164
cat-face timber Cft Saw Repair Chainsawz 62
M Ht 75 Stihl Pole Saw. Runs And I Deal No Power Chainsawz 6
stihl sawing Are you a saw worshipper Chainsawz 17
cat-face timber Saw build question Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 10
dieselfitter Saw comparison videos Chainsawz 7
N The latest thing in saw performance , saw owners going wild !! Chainsawz 21
cat-face timber How to start a saw Chainsawz 43
C what the heck happened to the saw builders on as? Chainsawz 67
DefinitiveDave Sticky: all mattering super important complete saw rebuild demonstration video Chainsawz 11
axlr8 Want to buy a MS260 Parts Saw. Wanted 0
rocketnorton why would a saw be stored like this? Chainsawz 21
TIMBERGHOST Comp. hot saw Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 9
cat-face timber Hey DSS What Saw would you use to fell this tree? The Razorback Lounge 15
H 2 H Starting a saw Chainsawz 3
cbfarmall Remington Bantam parts saw Wanted 1
Black Dog Chainsaw Need a 123-143 dolmar chassis saw Wanted 0
cjcocn Metal band saw $120 Hawgz Garage 62
cat-face timber Saw suggestion opinion wanted Chainsawz 12
cat-face timber How did a video of me using my SAW get put on the interwebs? The Razorback Lounge 4
B Ported saw wanted... For Sale 11
Hoggwood Loaner Saw? Chainsawz 48
Genius What's the most you lost on a saw? Chainsawz 20
sawjunky23 Poulan Pro Project saw. Wanted 2
David Young Used saw for more than retail Wanted 11
nhlogga I saw the new deere L series skidders Hawgz Back 40 23
C Saw running backwards? Chainsawz 9
Freehand I Saw A Ghost Today The Razorback Lounge 79
jimdad07 Lombard saw, looking for a carb kit Chainsawz 6
T Cub Cadet saw fer parts For Sale 6
Barneyrb Poulan 3450/3750/3500/3600 complete saw Wanted 3
T Partner 750 demo saw For Sale 23