Quantcast

When do you retire a saw?

PB

Reaction score
When is a good time to retire a saw? I absolutely love my 2054, but parts are getting harder to come by. It has lots of life left in it but a break in something insignificant could render it useless for some time until a replacement part is found. This was the first saw I ever bought back in high school and it is near and dear to me. Do I put it on the shelf and use it from time to time, or do I run it until it won't run anymore? It doesn't need to be run (I have a few extras ;), but I just love that damn thing.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Run her til she can't be fixed no more. Then fix it :D

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
A saw that new there's no excuse, to not keep running it.

I have guys all the time 041's and 031's, gripe because I can't/won't fix their saw.

"The damn thing is only 37 years old I should be able to get a few more years outta it"

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
If ya don't want anything to happen to that one then it's prolly a good idea to make it into a shelf queen.

Build another one and run that one - no sense in beating on a saw you'd hate to see destroyed when ya want it to stay perfect forever....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
If ya don't want anything to happen to that one then it's prolly a good idea to make it into a shelf queen.

Build another one and run that one - no sense in beating on a saw you'd hate to see destroyed when ya want it to stay perfect forever....

That's a creepy post. Like the guy that turns his girlfriend into dolls.

Cut4fun

Reaction score
Need info on a 2054 for a friend.

Is this a husqvarna made saw? What is the husky equivalent saw if so?

Spike60

Reaction score
Can't see any reason to retire your favorite saw completely. You've likely already put it on "restricted duty" or whatever, which is what I'd do myself. Take it out and run it when you want, but don't put it in a position where there's much of a risk it will get bounced around and maybe break something.

Parts are a little sketchy for those saws, especially since there were no corresponding Husky models. But they're not that old, so there's still a fair amount of them bouncing around out there. The "grab any parts saws you run across" rule is in effect here!

Tilton will still be selling parts for some non-current models. Whatever Husky didn't buy back, they can still sell.