Who wants to RACE?????

the westspartan

Jan 12, 2012
Just checking to see who would be interested in a new race venue in Ossian, NY, in early September. It is about 3 miles south of Sawhawgz headquarters (same place I got married). Every year the town of Ossian holds a small festival called "Hillbilly Hay Days". I went last year and it is a blast. They have an outhouse race, hunting-style archery competition, tug-a-war, tractor pull (they have an old tractor and you see how far you can pull it with a rope!), and various other stuff. It is TOTALLY homegrown. Everything there was thought up and run by locals.

I told them how cool I thought it was and they said they are looking for things to bring in more people. I suggested a chainsaw race and they said "now that is hillbilly!", and they want to do it. I am going to a planning meeting next month. I don't actively race except at GTGs for a laugh, but I know some of you gents are are pretty serious about it! So anyway, who's in?

WoodChuck'r, how about going to the meeting with me? Not sure of the time or date yet, but they said it would be a weeknight.

What events would guys like to see at something like this? What would be fun for locals to get into? What would bring some of you cats up from PA, OH and further?

What would be a reasonable entry fee, if any? What would prize money look like? Just wondering about the structure of a typical chainsaw race day.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Yeah I'll go with ya!

Usually entry fees for a race are $5 per class. Don't remember the payment to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd though. Cale will chime in here soon I'm sure. If he's not busy maybe he could come to the meeting too if he's interested....

Reactions: 1 person

the westspartan

Jan 12, 2012
Yeah I'll go with ya!

Usually entry fees for a race are $5 per class. Don't remember the payment to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd though. Cale will chime in here soon I'm sure. If he's not busy maybe he could come to the meeting too if he's interested....
SWEET! It should be fun!

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I just saw this thread.
Here's some suggestions for classes

Pro's want enough classes and money to make the trip worth while. Most shows
pay 1st-5th and it goes 50$-10$ for pay out. 5-10$ per class entry fee is fairly standard

For saw classes 0-51cc, 0-81cc muffler saws, 0-140cc piped saw, and open hotsaw

You could throw in a couple "locals only" or amateur events to give the locals something
to enter also. Common events are "provided stocksaw" or a "run what you brung worksaw"

Probably most practical wood, for this would be like 8x8 white pine or poplar.

Reactions: 2 people

Troutfisher

Jan 29, 2012
disc stack is fun, no special equipment needed......

[video=youtube;w8272YhsVcU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8272YhsVcU[/video]

Troutfisher

Jan 29, 2012
I've seen Wood splitting contests too. Use an upside down barrel with a 6" hole cut it, and give the guys a large block of wood. They have to split the block and get it into the barrel while the clock ticks. There's also water boil, log rolling, chainsaw throw, axe throw, lots of events the local guys can get into.

Last edited:

the westspartan

Jan 12, 2012
I've seen Wood splitting contests too. Use an upside down barrel with a 6" hole cut it, and give the guys a large block of wood. They have to split the block and get it into the barrel while the clock ticks. There's also water boil, log rolling, chainsaw throw, axe throw, lots of events the local guys can get into.
Sounds like a good way to get my firewood split!