Would you rather wrench'em or run'em....???

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I've spent and earned a living on fixing things - been doing maintenance since I was 16 years old.

I'm not really a fan of working on saws honestly - I'd much rather enjoy just using them. I have a few auto mechanic buddies and most people seem to think that they have 20 car projects at home for themselves and for other people. The last thing they wanna do after working on cars all day is come home and work on cars. It's not the perfect analogy for me but it fits - I fix broken ✖✖✖✖ all day, so I have little desire to come home and fix more broken ✖✖✖✖. lol

I work on a saw every now and again but for the most part, when I need something done, I usually send it to Cale.

Reactions: 3 people

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Don't give it much thought really. To me its either a paycheck (customers equipment) or a hobby (my own engines). There are times I get sick of it and take a break. Been know to lay down the wrenches, jump in the car with the family on a whim....maybe end up in South Dakota or something similar for a couple days. While growing up my Father had a saying "Well son the job needs to be done, so you may as well do it first and be in control of your leisure time". Didn't have a clue what he was talking about at the time.

I guess to answer the question, never get sick of running them but have to take a break from fixin them occasionally.

Reactions: 6 people

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
I'd rather do both. The advantage I had when I was working in the woods is I never had to wait to get a saw fixed. Guys I worked with would lose time taking saws into the shop. When I had a saw get bunged up all I had to do was take it home and fix it.

Reactions: 4 people

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
The ability to fix a saw is priceless... For the reason's stated above...
But I'd much rather runnem'!!!
:broccoli:

Reactions: 2 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I like running them better than working on them. Filing chains is probably 2nd to running them. :thankyou:

Reactions: 2 people

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I agree it's hard to get motivated to work on anything of my own after working on everyone elses stuff.
It took me all winter to get motivated to service my hotsaw.

I f#cking hate sharpening chains.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
That's really not considered filing. That's just maintaining order. Are we talking about the same filing?
Probably so. I don't file many of my chains. I grind most of them. I'm lazy on my work chain. I will file my stuff if I need it in the field.

logging22

Jan 10, 2012
Mo
I love everything about saws. Running them, working on them, cleaning them, collecting them, etc. I just really like saws. Maybe im weird, dont care. Saws rule.:upsidedownbanana:

Reactions: 7 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I like selling them to other enthusiasts. Nothing worse than selling a saw to someone who is grumbling and moaning and groaning about it, trying to buy something so much different from what they actually need. Dealing with people excited about buying one is just fun.

Still second place to runnin em though :clap:

I had a guy come in and talk about the 562 with me probably once a month for 6 months before coming in to buy one. He had to sell his 359 and get approval from the other half...... but he got it, and wasn't he ever happy to come in and pick up his new saw. Slapped a different bar/chain on it for him and let him run it out back before he left, and wasn't he grinnin when he went home :)