Yay for me. Getting another Jeep cherokee.

machinisttx

Jan 8, 2014
Been looking for another for a while with the intention of stripping a few parts I need and selling the rest. Found one a couple miles down the road that has transmission troubles. The wife said she'd be interested in driving it if I fixed it, so I guess I get to wrench on two jeeps now. :facepalm:

It's raining and soggy here right now, so it'll be a few days before I can go get it. Don't want to make a mess of the guy's property, and I'd have to if I tried now.

Reactions: 6 people

machinisttx

Jan 8, 2014
Went and got it a little while ago. 1991 four door, four wheel drive with the 4.0 straight six. The guy jump started it and drove it around to the front. I drove it home. Seems pretty solid, and I didn't notice anything strange with the transmission. I don't think $400 was too much for it. :grinbounce1:

Gonna need a new interior and some window tint. Can't stand driving without tinted windows anymore. Battery is dead as can be. Didn't even have enough juice to click the starter solenoid after I parked it.

Reactions: 4 people

machinisttx

Jan 8, 2014
The engine is filthy. Looks like someone missed the gigantic oil fill hole on the rocker cover with quart of oil every month for about six months. I've got the battery on charge now on the odd chance that this electronic charger will bring it back to life. I don't think it will, but it's worked on some others before. Jeep/chrysler used two different rear axles on these things(actually three, but the third is pretty uncommon). This 91 has the craptacular Dana 35, as does my '00 cherokee. The other is the Chrysler 8.25, which is much better. I've got a disc braked Ford 9" out in the shop that is probably going to end up in one of these.

I'm gonna get this 91 figured out and ready for use as a daily driver, then my 00 is going down for some repairs. After that, I'm going to start accumulating parts for a 4.5" long arm lift on the 91, different axles, and a bunch of other mods. I'll probably put my Warn 8274 on it too.

Chity_Avatar

Mows his grass in 8 minutes.
Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
The only Jeep I ever owned was a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado. I think it was a hell of a truck. 249,000 on it when I bought it. It was spotless. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Reactions: 1 person

Barneyrb

razorback sympathizer
Jul 10, 2013
North of the Coonazz line but still in Louis
I've had a couple of those Jeeps, a 1996 Laredo (much like you have there) and a 2001 Limited. In true Jeep fashion they will turn sharp enough to see the tail lights, the 4.0 is about as tough as there has ever been built, and they are a very capable machine.

I think I still have a grill guard with an 8000# winch on front for one of those. If so it will need some mounts and winch repair (control box). It went through a wreck and I never put it back on the 96. The 2001 requires another mount so I had to buy a new one for it. If you want it shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

machinisttx

Jan 8, 2014
I've had a couple of those Jeeps, a 1996 Laredo (much like you have there) and a 2001 Limited. In true Jeep fashion they will turn sharp enough to see the tail lights, the 4.0 is about as tough as there has ever been built, and they are a very capable machine.

I think I still have a grill guard with an 8000# winch on front for one of those. If so it will need some mounts and winch repair (control box). It went through a wreck and I never put it back on the 96. The 2001 requires another mount so I had to buy a new one for it. If you want it shoot me a pm and we can work something out.
They're certainly tough, especially with the 4.0. The really early ones had a crappy 2.8L GM V6, and the early manual transmissions were junk though. My '00 is a Classic, with the Upcountry and towing packages. My cousin works at a chrysler dealership and he pulled up a build sheet for me. It's got just about every option and upgrade that was offered. I think the 97 and 98 models are probably the cream of the crop with XJ's. In '99, they went to coil packs, a lot more electronics, and a low pinion front D30. I'm pretty well tapped out right now, but might be interested in that guard/bumper. :)

machinisttx

Jan 8, 2014
86-92 give or take a year ,the comanche pu

I just got a jeep in ,has the s10 2.8 in it ,old 85 model
The 2.8L was junk. A few of the XJ's had a Dana 44 rear axle. If you come across one, I'd be interested.

The XJ's and MJ's share a lot of parts. If you find a clean 2wd version of either one, you can bolt in all the 4x4 parts from a donor vehicle.

exSW

thinking of old guys’ balls
Oct 8, 2013
Out there
Went and got it a little while ago. 1991 four door, four wheel drive with the 4.0 straight six. The guy jump started it and drove it around to the front. I drove it home. Seems pretty solid, and I didn't notice anything strange with the transmission. I don't think $400 was too much for it. :grinbounce1:

Gonna need a new interior and some window tint. Can't stand driving without tinted windows anymore. Battery is dead as can be. Didn't even have enough juice to click the starter solenoid after I parked it.
400.00 is stinkin' insane.A solid square Cherokee w/4.0 in these parts is just about Not For Sale at a price you can stomach.

Reactions: 1 person

machinisttx

Jan 8, 2014
They used to be dirt cheap here, then came cash for clunkers. Many XJ's were sacrificed to that and priced have been elevated ever since. When I bought my '00 a couple of years ago, it had 144k miles on it and cost me $4k. I'm really surprised I got the '91 as cheap as I did. I've seen a few with major damage being sold for parts and those brought $600+.

Reactions: 2 people

axlr8

May 10, 2014
OK guys. My Honda is burning oil like mad.. so im looking for a 4x4 something..to get through winter. Til I have the motivation to replace the honda heart.

There is a 95 Cherokee here near me for 1300 bucks. 160k, 4.0, auto. Its pretty decent for the price. Have a few questions before I go look at it. Seller doesnt seem to understand motors..

1) After he hauls something "heavy" it will drip oil on the ground. but will not do this if he is just pulling his 16' Boat. His mechanic figured it was the oil filter seal, so he replaced it. Seller says it is still doing it after the repair.

2) Secondly, he claims that sometimes, it hesitates/struggles to get into first gear. Sign of needing a tranny flush&filter??

3) Thirdly, What else does a guy need to look for on these things??

treeslayer2003

QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM GFY
Sep 29, 2013
maryland's eastern shore
OK guys. My Honda is burning oil like mad.. so im looking for a 4x4 something..to get through winter. Til I have the motivation to replace the honda heart.

There is a 95 Cherokee here near me for 1300 bucks. 160k, 4.0, auto. Its pretty decent for the price. Have a few questions before I go look at it. Seller doesnt seem to understand motors..

1) After he hauls something "heavy" it will drip oil on the ground. but will not do this if he is just pulling his 16' Boat. His mechanic figured it was the oil filter seal, so he replaced it. Seller says it is still doing it after the repair.

2) Secondly, he claims that sometimes, it hesitates/struggles to get into first gear. Sign of needing a tranny flush&filter??

3) Thirdly, What else does a guy need to look for on these things??
i suspect the oil leak may be caused by pcv stopped up. they seem to like to do that and gum up inside........but i seen those run a long long time that way. the trans would worry me more, filter change seldom does any good.

axlr8

May 10, 2014
That doesnt make me any more sure of the trans.. I guess we will see what the thing drives like, and how the fluid looks and smells.

Being in college sure isnt any fun.. Ill tell you guys that much.